Aging in bottle tastes worse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

critterz

Reaction score
I made a Golden Ale in July, which everyone really liked after being bottled for just 2 weeks. I stashed a few and brought them out now, 3 months after being bottled, and they taste cidery; and not very good at all. I thought longer bottle aging made brews better. Anyone have any clues why this happened?

It was an all grain recipe if that matters.

A lot of beers don't benefit at all from additional aging, and are better off drunk young. Bigger stouts, and barleywines may "benefit" but that's subjective too. Not everyone likes what oxidation and time does to beer. Personally if I wanted to drink a sherry, I would.

Did you put the beers in the fridge? Next time after they carb, if you have the room, chill them down. Will keep fresher longer that way.

Oxycaps may help too.

Three months should be no problem if everything was sanitized properly and you did not oxygenate the brew when you bottled it.

I have a huge stash of brews that are anywhere from 1-3 years old and they taste fine. Some of the bigger Belgians actually continue to change and are great.

What was the recipe?

Back