Aging Belgian Strong - is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamHops

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have quite a few beers under my belt now with no infections to date. I made this Belgian strong ale on April 30, transferred it to secondary, and even filled the head space with extra co2. The beer is around 9.5% ABV.

I went to check on it today and there is a strange film on top. Does this look to be the start of an infection? If so, is there anything I can do to minimize the impact of the infection? Unfortunately/ fortunately all my kegs are filled.

image.jpg

I have never had an infection (KNOCK ON WOOD!) but that looks to me like it could be the start of one. Then again it could be yeast or trub floating up, which I have had before. How long have you noticed this film and did you sanitize whatever you used to take samples? Hope you're not infected, that would suck

Lol. Yeah knock on wood is correct.

I did sanitize everything well, wine thief included. It has been in secondary for well over a month and I just noticed the top layer this morning. I checked on it over a week ago and it looked normal.

At 9.5% ABV + hops (IBU?) you would need a serious inoculation for an infection. Best not take any chances though. April 30? That bad boy is ready to be consumed!

I planned on kegging it. I just bought another keg that is being shipped to me. I figured I better get it under co2 and refrigerated before anything that may spoil it grows any more. Plus I guess you can never have too many kegs...

Back