Aging beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgoolsby

Reaction score
I have noticed that kegged beer usually tastes better after a month or so. I am curious if this aging is actually due to being kegged or if more time in the carbouy would lead to the same result? I normally only ferment for two weeks, but would a month in the carbouy and two weeks in the keg be equivalent? Or is this another case of 'it depends'?

It depends. I always to mine in the carboy for a few weeks fermenting, then I keg it and gas it, then pull it out and let it age for another week or so. I like the results that I get from that with the carbonation but honestly there is no reason that aging in the same container without carbonation would effect it.
I almost feel that the carbonating help the beer taste more aged then it really is but I might just be full of s*it.

I believe that it's a result of clearing and maximum CO2 dissolution. Protein and hop polyphenols can have flavor, when it settles out the beer character changes.

Back