Aging beer in Texas heat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cain

Reaction score
I ferment all my beers in a temperature controlled freezer at around 62-65 degrees.
My freezer can hold 2 fermentors at one time.
I would like to have a couple more batches aging, after fermentation is over, in a room in my house. I live in Texas,and I turn the air conditioning up during the day so my power bill doesn't kill me during the summer.
The room I store beer in gets to 80 degrees in the summertime during the day. Can I store/age beer at this temperature, or should I only brew what I can store in the temperature-controlled freezer during the summer months?
Thanks for any advice.

I've been aging a few batches of Belgian Dark Strong (Westvleteren XII clone) since March and July 2015 at room temperature in my locker. Temperature is around 70-72F in the winter and 80F in the summer (June - September). Beer is aging just fine and higher temperatures may actually be a bonus and help with the aging process.

It may be a different story if you're storing an IPA at these temperatures. IPAs won't retain their hop flavour for a long time and keeping them warm shortens their shelf life.

Do you keg or bottle?

What are you aging? And in what? Things tend to age faster than you would think in high temps. Last year I had a dubbel I should have stuck in the fridge sooner. It was good and then wasn't relatively quickly. The bottles were probably at room temp 72-75.

Anymore I just age kegs in the fridge. You could put the aging vessels in an ice bath or package them sooner.

I ferment all my beers in a temperature controlled freezer at around 62-65 degrees.
My freezer can hold 2 fermentors at one time.
I would like to have a couple more batches aging, after fermentation is over, in a room in my house. I live in Texas,and I turn the air conditioning up during the day so my power bill doesn't kill me during the summer.
The room I store beer in gets to 80 degrees in the summertime during the day. Can I store/age beer at this temperature, or should I only brew what I can store in the temperature-controlled freezer during the summer months?
Thanks for any advice.

Elevated temperature will cause the beer to age more quickly than that if you were to store it at a lower temperature (something you already know which is why you're asking the question). Many times we think of oxidative reactions as the biggest problem with ageing but there are actually tons of non-oxidating reactions that also take place that alter the final make up of the beer.

In my opinion one review is far and above any other text I have ever read on this subject and it was published in a journal of food chemistry. Search for The chemistry of beer aging – a critical review. Read it several times, it leads to a lot of thought provoking ideas including the teaching that the article that was posted in this forum here tried to prove: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=580532 about trying to decease dissolved oxygen and oxygen exposure not only when storing beer but also throughout the brewing process.

So in short you can store the beer there, the taste profile will be significantly altered compared to that of one that is stored in a refrigerator. Give it a try and let us know how it turns out.

Not sure if you have a laundry tub/sink, but I've been fermenting and aging my brew in the laundry tub filled with about 5" of water. Also have been freezing water filled plastic milk jugs and placing one at a time in the laundry tub water to keep the vessels about 68 degrees. I have to rotate 4 frozen milk jugs about every 6 hours and I have thermometer strips on the carboys to monitor the temps. Works perfect with 4 milk jugs because by the time one thaws in the tub, there is always another one frozen in the freezer. YMMV

I was going to say get a Walmart room A/C for $138 and chill one room to the lower 60's but now I'm thinking a regular refrigerator off craigslist or brand new is what you need. Get one used, put 3-4 cases of homebrew in there and you can age as long as you want.

Back