Age your own tequila?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you aged your own tequilla?

• Yes, worth it

• Yes, not worth it

• No, not interested

• No, but willing to try it

• I'll just tell you my favorite tequila

• Get off my homebrew forum with your tequila talk!!

Results are only viewable after voting.

SPR-GRN

Reaction score
So I'm a big fan of tequila, I mean good tequila, sipping tequila.
I just purchased a few bottles of Jose Cuervo "Reserva de la familia" it's a premium tequila, aged in oak for somewhere around 3 years, then blended with some much older stock. The stuff is awesome.

It got me wondering however, do any of you guys age your own tequila?

I mean I'll still buy my obligatory bottle or three a year of this stuff (I really like it) but I'm wondering if I were to buy some 100% blue agave silver tequilla (silver hardly sees any oak) and sit it in an oak barrel, or better yet, drop some of my oak chips in it and let them age it, if it would be worth the wait.

I know this is a hombrew forum, but I figure it's worth bringing up here.

And now that I've typed this out, I may just go ahead and pick up a bottle of silver and drop some oak chips in it, I've got plenty of them.

If you don't have an answer at least tell me what your favorite tequila is.

Jose Cuerva "Reserva de la familia" is obviously my favorite :drunk:

I hadn't thought much about it, but it would be an interesting idea. You will probably need to taste it periodically to make sure you're not getting too much oak flavor.

I wouldn't want to try it and risk screwing up my good stuff. As of right now my favorite is Gran Centenario.

It might be worth a shot, can't say I've ever thought of doing such a thing. Jose Cuervo eh? I've never held much stock in that brand. Although, I've never had the "family reserve" either. I'll check it out.

I have yet to come across anything with the Cuervo name on it that I like. But to be fair, I haven't tried everything. Didn't like what I had so I stopped trying. My personal favorite is Corralejo in the blue bottle. But it's kinda hard to find around me, so I usually settle for Cazadores.

I actually was pleasantly surprised by Cazadores Resposado. Corazon and Don Julio are my favorites.

To the OP:

Interesting concept. If that would work, you could easily take an inexpensive silver and age it yourself, possibly creating your own unique version. I would imagine the oak chips wouldn't work as well as an actual barrel though.

Plus, then you can use the barrel for beer after!

To all the Cuervo Haters - I agree, there isn't much out there with the Cuervo name on it thats good for anything but Margaritas, considering that "Cuervo Gold" is only 51% Agave; that stated, Reserva De La Familia (yeah, family Reserve) is my Favorite Tequila, period! retails for $100-$150 depending on where you buy it (less in Jersey or New Hampshire), 100% agave, limited run of 17,000 bottles a year, hand numbered, wax sealed, fancy box etc. etc. it's a "Premium Tequilla", extra-anejo.

I've had Patron Anejo, Cazadores Resposado, and several others in the $30-$60 range, including 1800 (which is 100% agave from Cuervo) and Reserva still tops my list.

Go to your favorite watering hole, and order a couple shots, then dump them in a snifter and sip it, if you are into tequila, this stuff is the bees knees.

I haven't gotten into the $150+ tequila yet, too rich for me right now (thats like 15 gallons of my beer or 12 gallons of my wine are my usual arguments).

Back On Topic:

The plan is to buy a $20-$30ish bottle of 100% agave "blanco" and either drop some oak chips in it, or buy one of those 1L oak barrels and age it that way, but you tend to give up 10% "to the ghost" with the barrels, probably more in a little one. I'm not trying to get Premium tequilla for pennies on the dollar or anything, just trying to expand my brewing hobby a bit more; beer --> wine --> liquor, its a natural progression, and until it becomes legal to distill this is what I can do, that and make "Ice-box apple-jack" from cider.

I mean if money was all that mattered, we'd all drink PBR or Steel Reserve instead of making homebrew, right?

Oh boy I got lucky!!!

I am a member on a tequila forum http://www.tequila.net/forum and while bouncing around the site I came across a deal under one of the sections, where a store had some Tequila Ocho 2009 single estate plata for a seriously reduced close out price of $12.99 a bottle + s/h - so I bought three of them - one ot drink, one to age with chips, and one to keep around for afterwards when I know which way was better.
A quick word on the tequila - its a "single estate" tequila, meaning that all the plants come from the same estate, instead of being blended with other locations; the thought being that a different location will produce different tasting tequila due to growing conditions, which of course, makes perfect sense (note: it takes 5+ years for an Agave plant to reach maturity). It's a limited production of 11,000 bottles, and typically goes for $70.00 in stores (If you can find it) I've seen it for $45.00 on the internet, so 12.99 was a pretty good deal. I opened up a bottle this weekend, and it was pretty darn good! I'm typically an anejo or extra anejo drinker, but was suprised by this plata, needless to say I don't even think it needs to be aged, but I will be doing it anyways, in the name science!!!!

I'll let you guys know how it turns out when it's done aging, but I don't think I'll be starting it until after the new year, as I don't want to leave it alone over the holidays for fear of over oaking/ageing.

Very interesting idea!!i am a fan of tequila.Tequila is best and i love tequila drinks of real flavor,sure i will buy this bottle of 100% agave.Many many thanks for this interesting post.
tequila

I always thought it was odd that Sammy Hagar has a few different grades of tequila, but he doesn't have a "Red" tequila.

Red, Red,
I like it Red
Some like it hot
I like it Red!

Back