Age in carboy for 10 weeks? x2 IPA kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saeroner

Reaction score
The directions on this Hop Head x2 IPA kit say to transfer to secondary for recommended 10 weeks - dry hop 8 days prior to bottling.

Damn this is my 1st brew. Didn't think i would have to wait that long. Everything is going good. I plan to transfer this weekend if everything looks right.

Does it really need to age that long?

Is this the Midwest kit? If so, no where in the directions does it say 10 weeks. IPAs are typically better enjoyed young. Do three weeks primary, make sure you get to FG, then dry hop for 5-7 days, then bottle.

Is this the Midwest kit? If so, no where in the directions does it say 10 weeks. IPAs are typically better enjoyed young. Do three weeks primary, make sure you get to FG, then dry hop for 5-7 days, then bottle.

It is Midwest. But i bought the kit on Amazon. I'll take a pic and post it when i get back. Weird. Do they sell fakes or something? I read a couple of other post about this kit and yeah nobody mentions the 10 week thing... EDIT: it was this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A2XH8RS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Like twistr said... drink it young so you get the hop aromoa/flavor. I brewed a Pliny the Elder and it was in primary/secondary 3 weeks and was just bottled 2 days ago.... already itching to open one!!!!

I would never age anything with 'IPA' in the title for 10 weeks. That seems crazy to me. I'm generally drinking all of my IPA's within 3.5 weeks of brew day, if not a bit sooner.

Just my $0.02. Enjoy the brew.

The amazon picture of the product looks different than the one at midwestsupplies.com. On midwest's site, the picture of the box shows the text: "Time 'til Ready: 3 Months". Regardless, it sounds like your instructions for 10 weeks in the secondary are accurate.

You can always give it a taste and let it condition longer if needed, but I've never had to wait more than 7-8 weeks after brew day for an IPA to turn out right, and all were higher ABV with more hops than the kit you have purchased. I'd go with Twistr25's advice: 3-4 weeks in the primary, dry hop for 5-7 days before bottling/kegging. Ideally, drop the temperature down to 35-40F 2-3 days before transferring. Let it sit a couple weeks in the keg/bottles to carbonate. Overall, 6-7 weeks to enjoy your beer.

Sweep, I do see where it says 3 months on the box. Weird nothing in the instruction corresponds with that. Wonder if that is a generic image they populate the different kit info from and just didn't update that.

Latest posts

Back