agave botchet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grod1

Reaction score
What do you guys think?I will do more reading but a simple search did not turn up anything.It might be terrible to "burn" the agave, its not honey. its made out of plant and it could be horrific. Obviously there is only one way to find out...
Maybe just some honey botchet in an agave mead to help bring out some barrel flavor.
just rambling, feel free to entertain my thought. feed me some links or share your opinions.

Don't know if you can call caramelized sugar from a source other than honey a bochet (truth in advertising and all that). You don't "burn" honey unless you want to be drinking carbon. It is bitter, not pleasant. You caramelize the sugars and that simply means cooking the honey (ignore the Youtube videos of people frying their honey until it smokes. Nuts! ).
Honey has several sugars including fructose (a scant 40% of the honey) that caramelizes at 230 F and glucose (about 30% of the sugars in honey) that caramelizes at 320 F. If you cook the honey at 230 you will have caramelized only the fructose. If you are caramelizing table sugar you cook that for ...what? 10 minutes at 320? But getting honey to that temperature may take a while. Honey has a large mass that requires a fair amount of heat energy to raise its temperature. But that also means that the amount of heat it holds is large - and so very dangerous! Get honey at caramelizing temperatures on your skin and you will have a serious burn. Be very careful.
I have no idea what the key sugars are in agave but knowing those will tell you at what temperature it caramelizes - and (IMO) there is no good reason why it shouldn't taste good. Caramelized sugars are delicious.

Back