AG Setup Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoplander

Reaction score
So I could use some suggestions/help with my AG setup.

I just acquired a 1/2 bbl keg (15 gallon?) and I could get 1 or 2 more for a decent price but I'm not sure if it's worth the cost of getting them all welded to use as BK, HLT and MLT.

I have a 7 gal BK now, but I think I'll probably outgrow that soon.

So should I convert the keg to a BK and build 10 gal Rubbermaid MLT and HLT?

Could I use the keggle as HLT and BK and build one Rubbermaid MLT?

Or am I completely over thinking this?

I want to have the latitude to be able to do bigger stronger beers (which is partly why I want to go to AG in the first place).

Thanks All,
JR

do you weld? if you wanted to go that route check out local places in your area and ask what they would charge.. i found a local guy that did them for $6 per weld, couldn't beat that so i have a BK and HLT all up and use an igloo for the MLT.. i like that setup best because i can get 10 gallons of water warm/hot in the HLT and ready for sparging/next brew on brewdays.. 7gallons you will outgrow or have to watch for boilovers.. 5 gallon batches in a keggle "hardly" ever boil over.. i got close once ;-)

Great, thanks. I guess I should see exactly what the welder will charge me. I have a few friends of friends that might be able to help out for cheap.

Silver soldering your fittings isn't hard to do, it just takes a little practice. Also you could just do everything weldless fittings as well.
How would you be heating your HLT/BK (burners/electric elements)? You could do a fairly easy HERMS/RIMS setup and have a Keggle HLT & BK
along with a cooler for your MLT.

Ideally I'd get all keggles for scalability. For the time being you could use the 7g. as a HLT and build a MLT, then mash thin so you don't exceed the HLT's size restrictions. You will need to have a plan to upgrade the HLT though unless you use the BK as a HLT as well, in which case I did that for several brews...just ran off my first runnings into a bucket or pot while I added the remaining sparge water from BK, then combined runnings back into BK.

Or just do full-volume BIAB in the BK :rockin:

HD: I'm looking into going HERMS/RIMS but I haven't decided yet and I'm having a hard time making my mind up. Right now I have a propane burner but thinking about going electric after some of the threads I've read here.

Tre9er: I think I'm going to start by converting a cooler and using the keggle as a BK/HLT for now, with a plan to add more keggles down the line.

Weldless fittings is what I'm leaning toward right now because they're easily replaceable and it will be cheaper just to drill a few holes rather then welded fittings.

Thanks everybody. Will keep you updated as parts are made/added.

Latest posts

Back