AG Runnings Calcs - help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RumRiverBrewer

Reaction score
Brewing an AG Barleywine, 11Gal batch. Beersmith comes up with an OG of 1.110 for my recipe. I'm wondering how much potential is in the grain after my sparge to sparge again to brew a 5Gal batch of LG beer?

If the 11Gal batch has me mashing and sparging to get a 13.2Gal preboil volume at OG - 1.110, is there a way to calculate what the OG would be of 6.3Gal of water sparged through the MLT after the 11Gal batch is in the kettle? I've seen some calcs out there but could make no sense of it... Any specific numbers/calculations for this scenario would be appreciated.

Check out Kai's batch sparge/partigyle simulator at braukaiser. Without knowing some of the specifics, I tossed in some numbers to see what I could come up with. With 50lb of grain, mashing at a 1.25 ratio (62 qt), then sparging with 15qt would give a first batch of 53qt (13.25gal) at 1.097 (assuming 10% boil-off). Figure that's close enough to your numbers. Looking for a second batch of 6.3 gal (25qt) and 15% boil-off due to the smaller volume, that would give you a gravity of 1.047 for the second batch.

Latest posts

Back