AG brewers..whats the fasted you completed a brewday?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABVIBUSRM

Reaction score
How long does it take you on average to complete brewday? When i first started AG it took me close to 8 hours..now my average is 5-6 hours..how bout you?

Stove top it takes me about five hours. Maybe five and a half. I take it fairly slow and usually forget to heat my sparge water at the right time. If I no chill I'm done in about three and a half.

With cleaning now, I'm down to about 5 hours for 5-10gal AG batches. I just got a pump for my birthday, so I'm hoping that using that to whirlpool with my immersion chiller will cut a little time off...if nothing else it will save me the energy of constantly stirring while chilling.

From filtering water to cleanup it is down to about 5-6 hours on a good day. I have had them take 8hrs. Depends on if using pilsner with a low mash temp. That will add about an hour to the day w/ 30min extra for mashing for 90mins total and 30mins extra boil time for 90 mins to get rid of DMS.

P.S.
This is a single burner all manual lifting pots everywhere type of brewing.

For a 5 gallon batch with a single infusion and NO whirlpool.

I have my system down to 4 Hours from rolling the cart out of the garage to rolling it back in...
Including grain weighing and crushing and full cleanup

If I add a whirlpool hop stand it is 4:40 start to finish.

pump driven system.... 2 -10 gallon coolers.... fly sparge.... blichmann burner.... and a chillzilla

5.5 not including the setup. This was during a big brew day so my strike water was nearly to temp already. I don't think I'm a quick brewer by any means.

I was done in a little over 4 hours yesterday. Even had an 80 minute boil. I guess I'm just efficient. I think BIAB makes it a little faster.

First thing is crank up the burner to heat up the strike water. While that's heating, weigh out water additions and put them in. When I'm at temp, drop in bag and grains. While I'm waiting, I calibrate pH meter and check pH after 15 minutes. After the mash, pull the bag and squeeze for maybe 1 minute and then turn on the burner to full again while the bag drains a bit. No mash out. Since the ground water is colder, cooling took maybe 15 minutes yesterday. Hop stands do take more time, but I think they are worth it. I like to keep it simple.

I am at about 5 hours. To 7 hours. It depends on how much I don't allow myself to get distracted. The last brew day it took about 2 hours just to weigh out my grains and hops.

Depends on duration of boil, hop stand, & groundwater temp.
Quickest AG brew day for me is 4 hours 30 minutes.

Depends if I am having a 90 minute boil and if I'm whirlpooling.
It also takes longer to boil 15 gallons.

I am at about 5 hours. To 7 hours. It depends on how much I don't allow myself to get distracted. The last brew day it took about 2 hours just to weigh out my grains and hops.
Me too! I have two modes of brewing: day mode, where I work brewing in around kids and family, and night mode, where I'm up by myself and work efficiently. When in "Day Mode," I've been known to forget about a mash for three or four hours.

I average 5-6 hours. If I really worked at it and had everything ready the night before (everything weighed out, grain already milled) and was really on top of things, I can squeeze out a brew day in 4.5 hours, but that feels too much like work, and that's not really the point of this hobby. 5-6 hours is a nice, relaxing Saturday morning.

Average of last 3 brew days was about 3.5 hours....using BIAB in a 9 gallon pot on an outdoor burner. I usually start around 7-8 PM and finish around 10:30-11:30ish

15 minutes to heat up 6.5 gallons of strike water
10 minutes to add grains, stir and get to mash temp
60 minute mash
15 minute drain and sparge with room temperature water
10 minutes to achieve boil
60 minute boil (rehydrate yeast and sanitize fermenter once boil is under control)
20 minutes to cool
15-20 minutes to clean up

Depends on the season. 5.5 hours during the summer and 5 hours in the winter. Ground water temp significantly impacts my chilling time!

2 hours and 20 minutes, BIAB, no chill.

With the bag for a filter, I can mill really fine so my mash is done in 20 minutes (experimenting with shorter mash, just got my refractometer so I can tell when the gravity quits rising). My biggest hangup is heating on the kitchen stove. If I used a fast propane burner I could probably cut that by 15 minutes.

Depends on the season. 5.5 hours during the summer and 5 hours in the winter. Ground water temp significantly impacts my chilling time!

Heh, definitely true, I suppose there's got to be SOME benefit to living up here in these colder climates, otherwise who would bother? :)

Back