Affordable Can Seamer?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAWnel831

Reaction score
What's up fellow Homebrewers,

Are you guys interested in low volume canning like me? I can't justify the cost of spending $500+ on a can seamer when ill be only canning less than 5 gallons of beer every so often. I believe a manual hand crank seamer can get the job done. I'm taking a business class and I created a quick website for a can seamer business idea I have. I'm just getting started and the website is nowhere near finished. Any thoughts or comments are welcomed!

rordona1.wixsite.com/canning-solutions

Last edited:
That is a great idea. A cheap hand crank seamer. I have seen old fashioned hand crank seamers, and even oktober offers a hand crank version. But they are still 800$+. If you can make one, market it, and then keep up production I think you might have something.

My 2 cents is... I hardly doubt there is a market for small batch beer canners. Sanatizing bottles is a chore in its own then to do that with cans and can lids doesn't sound like something I would do. Not to mention bottles are reusable and cans get recycled. It would be nostalgia piece of equipment that may see some sales but bottle and kegging will still dominate the market.

What's up fellow Homebrewers,

Are you guys interested in low volume canning like me? I can't justify the cost of spending $500+ on a can seamer when ill be only canning less than 5 gallons of beer every so often. I believe a manual hand crank seamer can get the job done. I'm taking a business class and I created a quick website for a can seamer business idea I have. I'm just getting started and the website is nowhere near finished. Any thoughts or comments are welcomed!

rordona1.wixsite.com/canning-solutions
Content is king, could benefit from more details about the machine and images if you can. Also, “nearly half the price of competitors“ isn’t saying enough, since prices do vary. What makes your device special? Not just the price right? Cans are recycled all around the country where glass is not, etc.
Good Luck and hope to see you on kick starter or a site like it.

IME, the less 'manual' the can sealing operation is, the better the can will be sealed. I had the manual Cannular for a time, but I had too many bad seals with it. Plus needing to figure out how long, and how hard, to use the lever was more than I wanted to get into. Changed to their 'pro' version that's semi-automatic and have had zero bad seals. It also shortened the canning time by enough to be another benefit. IMO, a purely manual can seamer/sealer will extend the time to can a batch. Even canning 5 gallons (or less) time to seal each can will add up.

I'm using the Tapcooler filler (with the current version hardware to fill cans) and it work better than a beer gun. Once you've got it setup properly at least. Having the overflow tubing on the side also helps with the counterpressure aspect of the thing. I've had cans sitting in the fridge for several weeks (if not longer) and they are still as good as when they went into the can (I can fully carbonated, direct off of conical).

At this point, there's enough can sealing options out there that a 'new idea' will have to fill a need that's not being filled already. I can't see something being of quality (materials, fit and finish) as the ones out there and being enough of a price difference to attract people. Material costs, plus component manufacturing will play a large part in the cost. Being assembled by people who know what they're doing and CARE enough to do it right will also drive up costs.

Good luck on your project. I agree with the above poster that says post more pics and hype it up. Personally I would not fill out a form for a quote. I'm stingy with my personal info unless I'm already commited to buy.

Back