Affects of hot side Aeration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doug029

Reaction score
Who can fill me in on what affects/off flavors i might experience because of hot side aeration?

Short story is I had the worst stuck sparge ever (nothing was coming out) and the only way to fix it was to dump all my wort into one vessel (fix the clog) then pure it back into the mash tun to collect the wort for my boil. Thoughts?

Thanks

Stuck sparge from oxidized gel-proteins is a possible effect. Some other effects include darker color, decreased flavor stability, and production of compounds that taste grainy or like wet cardboard (trans-2 nonenal specifically has been researched in this regard).

But I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice by people calling it a myth and to rdwhahb without answering your question.

It'll be fine, what you did is fairly minimal. It's less of a problem in darker and bottle conditioned beers and if you use a proper pitch of healthy yeast. According to Dr. Charlie Bamforth, a leading researcher in this field, the greatest protection from hot side aeration is a healthy fermentation and that oxidation defects are far more significant from cold side handling.

Personally I don't think it's that difficult to avoid it, just be reasonably careful. Save a bottle from this batch for several months and see if you can detect any staling changes for yourself.

You had a sasquatch pee in your mash tun and no pics? Seriously HSA is the LAST thing you ever need to worry about. When you have exhausted all other brewery/brewing process improvements it may be time to look at HSA. Until then RDWHAHB.

IMO you will have absolutely no effects from anything you did. It is pretty much generally accepted these days that HSA is a myth, something that was thought to be a problem but in reality doesn't exist.

Must have been something about pittsburgh and stuck sparges today. Mine was the worst I have ever had and thankful I still had my BIAB bag that I could use. I definitely aerated the heck out of the mash as well. Glad to know that no real issues will occur from it.

Latest posts

Back