Aeration/contamination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baernmeeko

Reaction score
So I've recently become incredibly paranoid about contamination. I've done 6 batches no problem then my 7th came out undrinkable. It had an almost vinegar taste to it. I now need to find the point where I went wrong with this batch. My question here is how to avoid any contamination during the aeration period. All I have available right now is stirring and shaking. Is contamination a big concern at this point? Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

If you aren't already, you need to sanitize whatever you are covering the airlock opening. eg plastic wrap and not your thumb

billl said:
If you aren't already, you need to sanitize whatever you are covering the airlock opening. eg plastic wrap and not your thumb

I spray my thumb and have never had a problem

I spray my thumb and have never had a problem

Agreed, I wouldn't take this as a best practices recommendation, but I tend to have contact between my hands and my sanitary wort on most brews. I just have a bucket of starsan that I dip my hands into constantly, and make sure I've washed thoroughly, and under my nails (that's where most of the nasties are going to live) before I start the process.

Liquid or dry yeast? If using dry, you can simply skip the aeration step. It's not required.

kzhusker said:
Liquid or dry yeast? If using dry, you can simply skip the aeration step. It's not required.

How is aeration not required if you're using dry yeast? They still need oxygen to do their thing.

Sure there are more cells in a packet of dry yeast then a vial or smack pack of liquid yeast, but it's all yeast just the same and they like oxygen.

cadillacandy said:
How is aeration not required if you're using dry yeast? They still need oxygen to do their thing.

Sure there are more cells in a packet of dry yeast then a vial or smack pack of liquid yeast, but it's all yeast just the same and they like oxygen.

Do a search on dry yeast aeration, there are plenty of threads on HBT covering the technical details that i'm to lazy to repost here. Bottom line dry yeast do not REQUIRE aeration, although it won't necessarily hurt anything if you choose to.

Do a search on dry yeast aeration, there are plenty of threads on HBT covering the technical details that i'm to lazy to repost here. Bottom line dry yeast do not REQUIRE aeration, although it won't necessarily hurt anything if you choose to.

Not to get too off topic from the OP - but like everything else with this hobby there are so many conflicting points of view. One manufacturer says to not aerate, one says to aerate.

Here's a thread that goes on for 12 pages about what everyone thinks just for reference - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/theres-some-bad-info-going-around-295623/

:tank:

I wear sanitized rubber gloves if I'm likely to have contact with the wort. A quick spray with sanitizer (usually 70% rubbing alcohol) to keep them clean, and no worries about fingernails. I spray the tops of the carboys, air locks, and bungs with it as well - even after sanitizing.

Thanks for all of the insight everyone! I think I may have narrowed down the problem to a temp issue on the ferment. I've recently moved to a warmer climate and it didn't even cross my mind to monitor temperature so I have now fixed up an ice bath control system until i find a fridge and thermostat. That being said I am currently working on my first AG batch and will be sanitizing a bit of plastic wrap to cover the airlock hole before aeration. I am using dry yeast and the packet says nothing about aeration but I figure it can't hurt as long as everything is sanitized.

Back