Aerating before Pitching Brett Trois?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveafrank

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm brewing up a sour mash berliner weisse and fermenting with brett trois(instead of german ale yeast). I am finding conflicting info on whether to aerate normally or to skip aeration before pitching the brett.

I did see someone mention that aeration aided acetic acid production, which I am not interested in for a berliner. All I care is that the brett attenuates and adds a little fruity flavor.

Thanks!

oh and a bonus question for anyone who's done a berliner...what are your favorite secondary additions? I'm still deciding between fruit or dry hopping...

Aeration won't do much in terms of acetic acid production - the amount of dissolved o2 isn't enough for significant production, plus most gets consumed for cell division. O2 is an issue mostly after primary fermentation is done, so if fermenting in a bucket or anything else with a big air space, you'll want to transfer to a carboy for aging.

In my experience, not arearing Bret brings out the ester character more, especially in all-Bret beers. So it is something you may want to manipulate, depending on the final character you are looking for.

B

Back