Aerate or Not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't look at the Reddit comments or Reddit at all for that matter so I don't follow why people are choosing IPAs which "mask off flavors". IPAs are't designed to mask off flavors, there should be none. However, since I didn't read the comments there, it is possible that I simply don't get it.

As for aeration. I have aerated bigger (higher OG) beers and found fermentation kicked up a bit sooner. I failed to aerate a beer with similar OG and noticed a lag, but that could be for a number of reasons. Even so, I decided to aerate all of my beers. The experiment obviously shows no real difference, but I think I'll still aerate. It's a few minutes out of my life that I can live without.

This is a good article, maybe a little technical.

http://www.morebeer.com/articles/oxygen_in_fermentation

Quick and dirty summary - Oxygen helps the yeast grow faster.
If you have a yeast nutrient consisting of deal yeast, the yeast can get their lipids from them.
If you pitch an adequately sized starter the yeast have already built up their cell walls and are ready to go.

My own point of view - its easy to aerate a carboy or bucket by rocking it. Don't hold it and shake, which is hard. Instead place the carboy on a tennis ball so it can be rocked. I use buckets and rock hard, with an un-drilled lid. I rock for a minute and use yeast nutrient, and haven't had a stuck fermentation in years.

Brulosophy is one guy who did one thing once, it's a single data point, not fact.

I didn't look at the Reddit comments or Reddit at all for that matter so I don't follow why people are choosing IPAs which "mask off flavors". IPAs are't designed to mask off flavors, there should be none. However, since I didn't read the comments there, it is possible that I simply don't get it.

As for aeration. I have aerated bigger (higher OG) beers and found fermentation kicked up a bit sooner. I failed to aerate a beer with similar OG and noticed a lag, but that could be for a number of reasons. Even so, I decided to aerate all of my beers. The experiment obviously shows no real difference, but I think I'll still aerate. It's a few minutes out of my life that I can live without.

IPAs aren't technically designed to hide off-flavors, it's just a natural result of the bitterness and flavors that hops bring to a beer. Same as with a very roasty stout.

But I agree that everyone should strive for a better beer process and not brew IPAs simply because they hide flaws (Unless you personally like those flaws, in which case go nuts...)

I sometimes don't aerate, but it's usually when I am brewing a small beer and I know I've pitched plenty of yeast. They also say that dry yeast requires no aeration because the drying process already caused the yeast to build up their sterol levels and can get busy fermenting directly after rehydration (Which I usually do, but sometimes skip if I know I've pitched plenty of yeast.)

That's just me an YMMV. Everyone has their own processes and methods and I think this is one of those cases where a best practice can sometimes be left out without causing any noticeable lack in finished beer quality, depending on the situation. Areation before fermentation is not going to hurt your beer.

IPAs aren't technically designed to hide off-flavors, it's just a natural result of the bitterness and flavors that hops bring to a beer. Same as with a very roasty stout.

But I agree that everyone should strive for a better beer process and not brew IPAs simply because they hide flaws (Unless you personally like those flaws, in which case go nuts...)

Makes sense and I agree. I just never heard or read a comment that suggested brewing an IPA to hide off flavors. How about brew a beer without off flavors just for fun?

... How about brew a beer without off flavors just for fun?

Thats crazy talk! :p

Where is the fun in that? :mug:

The morebeer article I cited above helped me to understand why the dried yeast don't need aeration. (they should still be rehydrated)

I aerate all my brews so far. My last batch, the big barleywine, took off within 14 hours. This IPA I just brewed Friday night also got aerated, & I didn't see any krausen until 36+ hours. Both batches used US-05.

Like Hello said, it's a minute or two out of my life that surely can't hurt to do, even though I see the sense behind the thought of "if you pitch enough yeast, you don't need to worry about them reproducing." I am making 2.25-2.5 gallon batches, and an entire 11.5g packet of yeast should be plenty of beasties to make most anything ferment, but I still whip my young wort with a wire whisk until a fluffy froth comes forth.

(Can you tell I like a lot of little alliteration?)

:D

Makes sense and I agree. I just never heard or read a comment that suggested brewing an IPA to hide off flavors. How about brew a beer without off flavors just for fun?

I haven't heard of trying to brew an IPA JUST to cover up off-flavors, but I've heard of people recommending brewing an IPA because they are easy. They are easy because they hide some potential flaws.

It's kind of a false statement too. A person with a decent palate who drinks IPAs on a regular basis can probably pick out any IPA flaw anyway.

I think what I took away from it is this: If I don't do starters I need to aerate for certain; and if I do a starter I will still aerate but I'm not going to worry about it as much, i.e. not wreck my back shaking the carboy. (I always do starters)

I would also agree that this was a single experiment and it is difficult to take it as fact; however, given what we know about yeast and why and when oxygen is important, the results are not surprising but reassuring.

I think what I took away from it is this: If I don't do starters I need to aerate for certain; and if I do a starter I will still aerate but I'm not going to worry about it as much, i.e. not wreck my back shaking the carboy. (I always do starters)

I would also agree that this was a single experiment and it is difficult to take it as fact; however, given what we know about yeast and why and when oxygen is important, the results are not surprising but reassuring.

It's slightly more complicated. In essence common belief is that any liquid yeast, starter or not, aeration is recommended. The oxygen helps the yeast prepare for reproduction, which they do when there is oxygen available (Actually they do *more* reproduction when there is oxygen present. They actually both reproduce AND ferment with oxygen, it's not an all or nothing thing.)

With Dry yeast the yeast have prepared themselves during the drying stage and are ready to go.

With that said, I generally aerate when using dry yeast if I'm not pitching a lot more than recommended rates (like using 2 packets for a mid range beer), or if the beer is just a big beer, like 1.080.

In any case, aeration is not going to HURT the beer as long as it's done prior to fermentation as the yeast WILL use up the oxygen and fermentation will drive the O2 out of the wort/beer. If added too late, some residual O2 may remain in the beer to oxidize it.

Not aerating under certain circumstances may lead to underattenuation, or possibly certain flavor characteristics depending on the recipe and strain of yeast used, etc.

It's just one of many variables to consider when brewing beer and there are a couple that are MUCH more important to beer quality IMO, such as pitching rate, fermentation temperature, sanitation, and even recipe formulation. That is not to say that a conscientious brewer isn't thinking about it, but when considering the odds, not aerating has lower potential for causing a noticeable problem with the final beer than some other things.

A data point from my experience: Brewing with extract, using dry yeast, rehydrated. Getting generally poor attenuation (about 65 - 70). Tried many things to improve it with no help, until I changed my aeration method. I had been using dip-and-pour: dipped a 2-cup measuring cup into the wort and poured back in 100 times. Then I tried just setting the fermenter on the floor and pouring all the wort in from the kettle as high as possible. Attenuation since then has been about 82 over nine batches. Now I'm a believer in aerating, even with dry yeast.

Latest posts

Back