Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donmega

Reaction score
Hey Guys, due to renovations I have been fermenting in our spare bathroom.. Went in this morning and first thing I noticed was the smell... On investigation I found the lid had been slightly popped on my fermenting bucket...

I have just done a hydro sample, it's at 1012, so nearly done..

Should I be concerned ?

And before I accuse one of the boys, could this have been caused by ramping up the temp from 18 degrees to 20 ?

Cheers

I would not worry too much ... and yes the pressure could not only pop the top but have it blown off and hit the ceiling with foam and beer and yeast ... I have had several plugged airlocks and end up mopping the ceiling.

My guess is either the bucket is warped and/or it wasn't sealed fully to begin with. It's possible the temperature change had an affect but I doubt it (a 2° change doesn't mean much).

Did you taste the hydro sample?

Honestly, your beer's probably fine. My only concern would be it being exposed to oxygen or even getting a fruit fly in there. I'd watch it a bit more. Let it get to its final gravity then take a few additional hydro samples. If it keeps dropping you may have an infection, if not you're good to go.

Thanks heaps guys, now I think if it, when I added the dry hops I may have not fully resealed the lid. Tastes and smells great but will definitely take your advice and give it a bit longer... Hopefully their was enough pressure to keep any nasties out !! Cheers

Thanks heaps guys, now I think if it, when I added the dry hops I may have not fully resealed the lid. Tastes and smells great but will definitely take your advice and give it a bit longer... Hopefully their was enough pressure to keep any nasties out !! Cheers

Unless you stirred air into the fermenter the beer is covered in CO2 since CO2 is about 1.5 times as dense as air. Nasties have a really hard time getting started in beer at this stage unless you have eliminated the CO2 because the bacteria that we are usually concerned with need air that is missing or can't survive in the acidic and alcohol laden beer. The normal cause of infections is transferring beer to a secondary with too much space above the beer. You lose the CO2 cover when you transfer and by the time enough has outgassed from the beer to do any good, the infection has already become established.

Unless you stirred air into the fermenter the beer is covered in CO2 since CO2 is about 1.5 times as dense as air. Nasties have a really hard time getting started in beer at this stage unless you have eliminated the CO2 because the bacteria that we are usually concerned with need air that is missing or can't survive in the acidic and alcohol laden beer. The normal cause of infections is transferring beer to a secondary with too much space above the beer. You lose the CO2 cover when you transfer and by the time enough has outgassed from the beer to do any good, the infection has already become established.

Thanks heaps for the info [emoji106]

Back