Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBU123

Reaction score
Brewed an english bitter partial extract kit on Sunday afternoon (41 hours ago). Full 5 gallon boil and had to top off with maybe a half gallon of water. Used Wyeast London ESB 1968 for yeast (pack never really swelled). Fermenting in a 6.5 gallon better bottle with a blow off tube. Have not been able to check the temp of the wort, but we also brewed 2 Hefeweizen's and an IPA. Two hefeweizens are doing what they should and the IPA is starting to get going...all in the same dark location.

Here is a picture of the better bottle and what I was looking at this morning at 36 hours. Not a great photo but my point is there is very little, if anything happening.

Thoughts?

IMG_3519_resized.jpg

You didn't make a starter?

If you still don't see any activity by tomorrow afternoon, I'd pitch another pack of yeast. What was the original gravity? You almost certainly underpitched anyway. What was the production date on the yeast pack? How did you aerate?

This is why we make starters!

You didn't make a starter?

If you still don't see any activity by tomorrow afternoon, I'd pitch another pack of yeast. What was the original gravity? You almost certainly underpitched anyway. What was the production date on the yeast pack? How did you aerate?

This is why we make starters!

OG was 1.054. Not sure about the production date on the yeast pack. Aerated it with an oxygen regulator/tank with airstone.

Hear ya on the starter but have never had an issue before.

Thanks!

Chris

OG was 1.054. Not sure about the production date on the yeast pack. Aerated it with an oxygen regulator/tank with airstone.

Hear ya on the starter but have never had an issue before.

I'm not meaning to critisize your process, just offer suggestions, so please take this in the spirit in which it is intended.

You may not have had an "issue" before, but that doesn't necessarily mean you were making beer that was living up to its full potential. In this case, you underpitched.

According to the yeast cell count formula, a 5 gallon batch of ale with an O.G. of 1.054 would require 216 billion yeast cells. A single smack-pack contains around 100 billion cells on its production date, with viability dropping steadily as time passes. A 2-month old pack might only be 60% viable, for example. The production date is stamped on the smack-pack itself, so if you haven't taken out your garbage yet and are curious, you can pull it out of the trash and see how old the yeast was.

If the yeast was 2 months old and properly handled, then it contained maybe 60 billion yeast cells. If it was improperly handled, then less still.

All that to say you may have only pitched less than 1/3rd of the yeast you should have pitched for an optimal ferment. A simple 1.5 liter starter would have boosted that cell count back up and confirmed you have a healthy, active colony of yeast ready to go to work on your wort, and spared you the nervous anxiety you're now enduring.

Aeration sounds ideal, and I'm assuming your temperatures are good, so I'm guessing it will eventually take off, and you're just experiencing an unusually long lag time because you underpitched, and the yeast are taking longer than normal to build up the necessary count. That could also mean some off-flavours, as underpitching results in stressed yeast.

Again, I'm not critisizing, just offering suggestions/possible explanations.

The more I brew, the more I understand how important yeast health and fermentation control are to the final beer. The recipes, water treatments, hopping schedules, all those are the easy (and, dare I say, more fun) parts. But the truly critical element, the part that really makes the difference between a great beer and a mediocre one, is fermentation control. Taking that extra step of making a starter, pitching the right amount of yeast, and paying close attention to fermentation temperatures, especially during those critical first few days, makes all the difference in the world.

No worries...I do not take offense. Still new and still learning with each batch. Thanks for the advice. Will see what evolves this evening.

Chris

Back