Advice wanted on lagging fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oz1um

Reaction score
I've brewed the following: (Saison with rye in the grain bill, mosaic hop and some brett)

75% Maris Otter Pale
12.5% Wheat Malt
7.5% Crystal Rye
5% Flaked Oats

30 gr Mosaic (Whole) @ 60
20 gr Mosaic (Whole) @ 30
20 gr Mosaic (Whole) @ 10
hlf spoon Irish Moss

Ended up with about 22/23 litres ((bit over 5.5 gallon) of wort with a gravity of 15.5 Plato or 1.063 SG in my fermenter. I aimed for about 20 litres, but it's a shame to throw good wort away.

I've used the Yeast Bay SAISON/BRETTANOMYCES BLEND (http://www.theyeastbay.com/wild-yeast-and-bacteria-products/saison-brettanomyces-blend. I wanted to make a starter, but a delay on an ordered stirring plate, the fact that the label said that a vial would be okay for 5 gallons of wort (19 litre-ish) and the warning not to make starters from blend because it could upset the balance made me decide to pitch it directly and not make a starter. The wort was well aerated before I pitched. The best before date on the vial of yeast had passed with just a few days.

I finished last Sunday night (or should I say Monday early) a bit past midnight. I've put my fermenter bucket in my improvised fermentation chamber where I was able to keep the temperature at a pretty stable 21 C (measured through a thermo-well). Aeration and temperature have been pretty optimal I'd say.

The dilemma I have now is about fermentation. It has been over 40 hours now and no sign of fermentation. I understand that I under pitched and could expect a lag in fermentation. I'd like to have some advice on the best next move:

A) Leave it to rest; a delayed fermentation was to be expected. Question is how long to wait? I'm willing to give it another day.
B) I have some dried yeast (T58) which shares some characteristics with Saison - I could pitch it in there and get things going.
C) ....

I appreciate any input or thoughts you have on this.

Back