Advice on yeast strain. S-04 vs. Wyeast American II 1272

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a Pirate's Plunder India Dark Ale from Northern Brewer. It is their extract kit with about 9# of Maris Otter syrup and a nocturnal grain mix for steeping.

The default from Northern Brewer is S-04. I have a Wyeast 1272 smack pack sitting in the fridge as well as a few packs of S-04. I've never used either one. I will be fermenting in the upper 60s. I know it is an English style beer so S-04 is more to style, but I don't know which to use or what kind of flavor profiles will be different.

What should I do? Advice?

Nocturnal grains? They sleep all day and stay up all night?

If you have the ability to make a starter, use the liquid yeast. The dry yeast has a much longer shelf life. With 9 lbs of Maris LME plus your "nocturnal" steeping grains, you're probably dealing with a fairly high OG, which one single smack pack is not going to give you enough yeast for.

So... I would use the liquid yeast if you can make a starter. If not, use the dry.

LovesIPA has a point about the shelf life and needing to use the liquid yeast sooner. The beer will be fine with either. If I was you, I'd use the S 04 since that is what is in the recipe and find myself another beer in which to use the 1272 as soon as possible.

I've used 1272 on 3 of my last 4 batches (a pale ale, an IPA, and an american brown ale) and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! If you've ever had Racer 5 or any of the Bear Republic beers, that is their house yeast. It's going to be a yeast that I use a lot, I think.

I have several brews in the works so it will get used quickly. Its a fresh pack manufacured this month. I just wanted to know which would taste better.

Got two free fermenters? If so, maybe split the batch and use 1272 in one an 04 in the other. That way you'll really get an idea of what each brings to the table.

And FWIW, I picked up a pack of 1272 in maybe February. It's on it's third or so generation now after did an APA, an IPA, two cream ales, and a stout with it. 1272 is AWESOME in every one of them.

Got two free fermenters? If so, maybe split the batch and use 1272 in one an 04 in the other. That way you'll really get an idea of what each brings to the table.

And FWIW, I picked up a pack of 1272 in maybe February. It's on it's third or so generation now after did an APA, an IPA, two cream ales, and a stout with it. 1272 is AWESOME in every one of them.

+1 split them and see what you think. I love experimenting!

Latest posts

Back