Advice on important equipment choices. New to all grain!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelastleroy

Reaction score
Hello,

I've got a bit of spare cash on hand at the moment, and want to add to my home brewing setup. Here's a list of what I have currently:

Turkey fryer boil kettle with spigot and dip tube
Cooler mash tun
Plastic fermentation bucket
5 gallon glass carboy (no airlocks or blow off yet)
Counterflow wort chiller
Currently building a heavy duty roller grain mill :)
I'm buying a bar fridge for fermentation chamber to do lagers, and a STC1000 controller is ordered from amazon.

I'm thinking of buying the following:

One more kettle and burner (good burner and SS kettle for boiling)
PH meter and assorted salts for lager/pilsner
corny kegs and C02 setup

I'm thinking I'll get the PH meter etc no matter what. From your experiences, what would be more useful right away; a second burner/kettle so no more walking up to the kitchen and back down to the garage with scalding water? Or kegging setup so no more PITA bottling after it's done?

Any suggestions on PH meters/kits?

When confronted with such dilemmas, I tend to fall back on old familiar platitudes, like "Safety First."

Carrying scalding water anywhere is a very bad idea. I urge you to do whatever is necessary to avoid such a practice. Whether that means buying a new kettle and burner, or, better yet, getting a pump and another cooler for an HLT, it's up to you. Kegging can come later. That's my opinion, anyway. I was very happy after buying a pump to streamline my water/wort handling.

Cheers!

I'll second the previous post. Was never happier before I purchased that second kettle with a sight glass, thermometer and a spigot for a HLT. Man it sure is nice being able to fill that thing up high... watch it come up to temp... then dump it into the cooler ( ;

The carboy is something I bought years ago. I haven't used it yet, as my first 2 batches were primary only in the plastic fermenter. I recently checked the volume, and it holds 5 gallons with very little head space. Might be ok for lagering. I'm going to keep an eye out for another 6.5 gallon carboy. Would be good for keeping things rolling.

If I get another burner/kettle, I'm going to need to set up a gravity feed system. I can't afford the fancy pumps! Luckily I have access to a welding machine and I'm pretty good at building things with it ;)

Definitely go with the second pot and burner and throw in a good chugger pump for good measure. No more lifting hot pots and you can set it up with an ice bath to chill your wort faster. You can get a really high quality pump for only around $175.

You mentioned a pH meter and salts... save the cash and use it to buy something else. I'm not saying water isn't important, but in the grand scheme of things I've learned it's the last thing you need to worry about. I just brewed an IPA today using RO water, and I guarantee you I got full conversion.

Happy brewing!

The carboy is something I bought years ago. I haven't used it yet, as my first 2 batches were primary only in the plastic fermenter. I recently checked the volume, and it holds 5 gallons with very little head space. Might be ok for lagering. I'm going to keep an eye out for another 6.5 gallon carboy. Would be good for keeping things rolling.

If I get another burner/kettle, I'm going to need to set up a gravity feed system. I can't afford the fancy pumps! Luckily I have access to a welding machine and I'm pretty good at building things with it ;)

I'd suggest you skip the carboy since they are heavy, slippery when wet, fragile, and dangerous when they break. Instead, put your money into 2 or 3 more bucket fermenters. Buckets come with handles for moving them, a big opening for easy cleaning, will merely bounce when dropped if they are empty, and can withstand boiling wort being dumped into them.

Or a Spiedel Fermenter

$_35.JPG

All good suggestions so far, although I'm okay with glass carboys and that might be cuz I've had a bunch for some time. Yes, I have had one break but it was of my own doing and other than cleaning up a few gallons of cleaner on the back porch, no harm done. I was sorry to see that one go, I think it was my first 6.5 gal carboy from about 17 years ago.

Personally I would give some thought on what your future setup is going to be. If you are thinking about some type of stand or whatever the case may be. I used a couple coolers (one MLT and one HLT) for many years as I accumulated items to build a brewing stand. Now it changed along the way many times from a three tier to single tier but all the items I had accumulated would work.

I think one of the first items I picked up was a keg to convert to a keggle, I didn't use it right away cuz I didn't need to, I had a 10 gal polarware pot (which I still have and use on occasion or borrow out). In hind site I think a pump really should have been my first item to get so I wouldn't have to lift as mentioned above.

It sounds like you're on the right track and how you get to where you want to be in terms of brewing (amount, electric, propane, stand... etc.) really will layout what items you will need to end up with.

From that point, get items that will help you out not only making better beer (fermentation chamber) but make it easier for you along the way.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things are going.

Getting another kettle is probably a good call from what you describe. However getting a co2 setup was a game changer for me. I love to brew but bottling is an investment in time energy and just something that I don't enjoy. Filling a keg is a piece of cake and gives me the freedom to brew more.
Kegging is something that you can leg into. I found an inexpensive chest freezer on craigslist that I used it as a fermentation chamber for a while as I sourced the other components piece by piece. I second the notion of skipping the PH equipment. Personally I haven't found much benefit in using what I have. Best of luck to you

I started out w/ two saw horses & old shelving for gravity feeding from my tun toy BK & then to CFC.
I did invest in a Blichmann burner w/ legs & a good SS pot ( Update International)..
The Blichmann is definitely one of the best purchases I've made as I've expanded my system.

Thank you all for your kind advice :ban:. I'm leaning towards getting a pump now, having seen the single-tier setups on here. I'm not really keen on building a "sculpture" that becomes 6-8 feet tall.

If I end up going electric eventually (arduino is another hobby of mine, and brewing lends itself to automation) I will still be able to use the stand, pump, cooler and kettles. I think I will fabricate a brewstand, and go with propane until my next big upgrade.

What have you all found with regards to cooler vs kettle MLT's? I love the look of 3 shiny pots on the stand, but it's hard to argue with the cost-effective, and quite efficient cooler mash tun which I already own.

Are the premium burners worth the spend? I was able to use the turkey fryer for the last batch, but I'm thinking if I build a stand for a HLT and the boil kettle, I'll get a better burner for the boil. I expect the good burners are more efficient for fuel economy? I'm wanting to get into lagers and pilsners for a lot of my brewing, and 90 minutes of boil time can be hard on the propane.

Ok, I'll nix the PH meter. I've been reading too much about Munich water I guess. If I get the beer really close to where I want it and can't get it any better, I'll invest then.

I bought a used mini fridge today for fermentation chamber. I'm also working on the grain mill tonight. One of these days I'll stop building and start making my 3rd batch..... :smack:

I love my cooler - just brewed a batch yesterday with a 75 minute mash and I didn't lose a single degree of temp. That said, my next purchase is going to be another steel kettle. I want to be able to do step and decoction mashes, and that's near impossible to pull off with a cooler tun and only one burner. The double burner/kettle system let's you try new tricks.

I agree with you about the burner. What you save buying the less expensive burner you spend in propane on the back end. I found a local propane shop that will refill my tank for $15, fully half the price of a tank exchange.

You mentioned a pH meter and salts... save the cash and use it to buy something else. I'm not saying water isn't important, but in the grand scheme of things I've learned it's the last thing you need to worry about. I just brewed an IPA today using RO water, and I guarantee you I got full conversion.

Ok advice to delay getting a pH meter. It's a good tool but perhaps not necessary yet. Salts are cheap. For about $10 you can buy a lb of calcium chloride and a pound of gypsum and some lactic acid. Your advice to worry about water last though is terrible at worst, and ignorant at best. Water chemistry isn't just about getting 'full conversion'. It is a big component of making great beer. Did you really make an IPA only with RO water, no salt adjustments?

Fermentation chamber

Buy a cheap 7.1 cu ft freezer from Sams/Walmart/Costco
An STC 1000 or 1000+

Huge bang for your buck.

I would also get Beersmith. fantastic tool

A pump is great to have too

Kegs and kit for DIY kegerator.

That's what I'd get

Edit: You ar already getting this stuff. Sorry I reread.

Last edited:
Your advice to worry about water last though is terrible at worst, and ignorant at best...Did you really make an IPA only with RO water, no salt adjustments?

Couple things -

I'm new to brewing, so I admit a pretty fair amount of ignorance. That said, everybody I've encountered on this forum, with the exception of you, has said (a) water is the last thing you need to worry about, (b) don't screw with water unless you know what you're doing, and (c) you don't know what you're doing unless you've paid for a mineral analysis of your water. I bought Burton salts for the first batch of IPA I brewed, and on the advice of about a dozen people on this forum I went without it and it came out pretty damn tasty.

To answer your question, yes, I did brew an IPA with RO water and no salt adjustments, and I'm sure it's gonna turn out just fine. I do this for me. I'm not entering any contests or trying to sell the stuff, so if I don't meet some exact water chemistry specs or nail the BJCP style guidelines spot on, I'm not gonna get bent out of shape about it because at the end of the day I like the beer I made and that's that.

Maybe after I've been doing this for a while I'll start worrying about water chemistry. In the mean time, this is a BEGINNER'S forum. As important as you seem to think water chemistry is, there's better things this guy can spend his money on right now and get a lot more enjoyment and practical use from. So don't be a dick.

Ok, I might be jumping the gun, but I've found a trio of full sized kegs for a good price. Good idea to buy them for future boil/mash/hlt use? I have all the fabrication equipment I need, and wholesale pricing on SS fittings (I'm in the tank trailer business).

How big of a batch can you do in a keg boil kettle? How small of a batch can you do in a keg mashtun?

Couple things -

I'm new to brewing, so I admit a pretty fair amount of ignorance. That said, everybody I've encountered on this forum, with the exception of you, has said (a) water is the last thing you need to worry about, (b) don't screw with water unless you know what you're doing, and (c) you don't know what you're doing unless you've paid for a mineral analysis of your water. I bought Burton salts for the first batch of IPA I brewed, and on the advice of about a dozen people on this forum I went without it and it came out pretty damn tasty.

To answer your question, yes, I did brew an IPA with RO water and no salt adjustments, and I'm sure it's gonna turn out just fine. I do this for me. I'm not entering any contests or trying to sell the stuff, so if I don't meet some exact water chemistry specs or nail the BJCP style guidelines spot on, I'm not gonna get bent out of shape about it because at the end of the day I like the beer I made and that's that.

Maybe after I've been doing this for a while I'll start worrying about water chemistry. In the mean time, this is a BEGINNER'S forum. As important as you seem to think water chemistry is, there's better things this guy can spend his money on right now and get a lot more enjoyment and practical use from. So don't be a dick.

I am far from the only person around here who says ignore water. Sure on your first few batches get get hung up on it while you get your process figured out, but OP was obviously past that point. Your points (b) and (c) are very accurate though. Most water will make beer. Most water will not make *great* beer without more consideration.

Making an IPA with pure RO water is an amateur play. I hope you like it but you could do better with water mods. Not saying what you make is going to be bad, just that better is easily achieved.

And to clarify, I agreed a pH meter isn't a good buy at this point. But the salts are. And so is spending the time to learn the water chemistry. That knowledge is free around here if you invest the time.

I am far from the only person around here who says ignore water. Sure on your first few batches get get hung up on it while you get your process figured out, but OP was obviously past that point. Your points (b) and (c) are very accurate though. Most water will make beer. Most water will not make *great* beer without more consideration.

Making an IPA with pure RO water is an amateur play. I hope you like it but you could do better with water mods. Not saying what you make is going to be bad, just that better is easily achieved.

And to clarify, I agreed a pH meter isn't a good buy at this point. But the salts are. And so is spending the time to learn the water chemistry. That knowledge is free around here if you invest the time.

You're right. I was just trying to be helpful for the OP and so far the advice I've been given here is not to be too worried about water at the start. Once I've got my system down, understand the efficiency of my equipment, and have a better idea of what I'm doing I'll start looking at water chemistry. My point for the OP was simply that there are other fish to fry first.

I've had a crappy week, which is entirely not your fault. Sorry I called you a dick.

Cheers.

Back