Advice on False Bottom for Kettle MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoWBrewer

Reaction score
I am converting my 15.5 gallon Bayou Classic kettle to a mashtun. I am looking for a false bottom to fit. Most of them cost more than the kettle. Does anyone have advice on cheaper options? For instance, the kettle is about 15.25 inches in diameter, can I buy a 12" domed false bottom and get good results? Obviously, there is some scorching risk.

Could I just go to a local welding shop and have them make one for less? Does anyone have any idea why false bottoms are so expensive. I don't want to use a bazooka screen.

I haven't gotten any useful responses. I think I am going to go with a 12" domed false bottom and see how it goes. I can't see spending $120 to $140 for a false bottom.

Bayou Classic is now making brew pots w/ graduated markings. These new pots have a false bottom made by Bayou. They might fit what you have/ need.

Bayou Classic is now making brew pots w/ graduated markings. These new pots have a false bottom made by Bayou. They might fit what you have/ need.

I have tried to research those to see if they work well. Here is the problem that I see (please let me know if I am wrong): the new bayou classic kettles have the lip/identions at the bottom of the kettle, the older one have the lip/indentation at the top.

OLD

New

I am pretty sure they made the change so the false bottom would fit. A lot of people cut notches in the lip to get a false bottom in the kettle, I would prefer to not do this since I am making a mash tun.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're correct about the indentation. I just saw them At my LHBS & a couple of guys bought them & were very happy. Give Doug at Just Brew It a call & ask him for advice. He'll steer you in the right direction either way. 770-719-0222. Closed on Sun & Mon

Back