Advice on Brettanomyces

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danthebugman

Reaction score
For Christmas I received a couple of Northern Brewer's Saison de Noel kits. I decided to make one as is and the other I'd like to chuck some Brett in. Having never used Brett I have a few questions:

1) Which strain should I use? I'm a big fan of Boulevard's Saison Brett and I read somewhere what strain they use, but cannot remember nor have I been able to find the information again. Now I'm not looking for this to be a knock off of Saison Brett, but that's the "Brettiness" I am familiar with.

2) I was thinking of pitching the Brett at the same time as the Saison yeast. Would you recommend this or just adding it to secondary? Why or why not?

I'm brewing the first batch on Tuesday and the next one some time after that...probably when the first is done fermenting. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I've never had Saison Brett, nor do I know what strain they use. But they bottle condition with it, so if you can get your hands on a bottle, I would just dup the dregs in once the Sacch yeast is done. If you can't find a bottle, Orval would work fine. I'd put the Brett in after the Sacch was done, but if you add it in at the beginning it will come out pretty much the same. I add Brett to my beer after mainly because I like to bottle 4 gallons clean and put one aside in a wine jug on Brett.

Back