Advice on Adding Dextrose to Double/Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgrimm101

Reaction score
Hello there,

I want to brew an Imperial IPA based on the extract version of this recipe (scroll down):

http://byo.com/stories/issue/item/1702-imperial-ipa-style-profile

The recipe calls for 1.5 lbs of dextrose but the instructions do not mention when it is added. I have never added sugar to a brew (until bottling day) so I do not know when it should be added.

Thanks for any advice.

You can add the dextrose during the boil, probably at 15m or 10m. Treat it like a candi sugar addition for a Belgian.

Dextrose is added to dry out the beer (lower the FG). Dryness in a beer speaks to a low FG. This can be achieved in other ways, such as using a higher attenuating yeast and/or mashing at a lower temperature.

The 1.5lbs should be fine for that recipe. No need to second guess BYO.

I use 1lb of demerara sugar in my Cougar Country IPA...along with a total of 8.3 ounces of hops. It lends a little to the flavor complexity as well with it's light brown sugar laced with honey flavor.

I use turbinado in the extract IIPA in my dropdown. Since controlling mash temp isn't possible, and there is almost certainly some Carapils in the extract, adding some sugar increases the ratio of fermentable sugars to non-fermentable ones. I add it at flameout.

Latest posts

Back