Advice on a winter vanilla porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmex41

Reaction score
Looking for feedback on my winter ale
12.5lb Maris Otter
3lb brown malt
1lb Munich
.5lb black patent
.5lb wheat malt
.5lb crystal 40l

.75oz magnum 60 min
.5oz Simcoe 30min
.5oz willamette 10min
.5oz willamette 5min

Pacman Yeast

Mash at around 154

Then add Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla beans once the gravity is stable

OG 1092
IBU 49
SRM 37
FG 1023
ABV 9.1%

Your grain bill looks good, but I'd drop the Simcoe hop addition, and bump up your Magnum some to match your IBU. The Simcoe is going to be lost by the vanilla. Pacman is a good yeast for this recipe.

When I make my Vanilla stout, I cut my beans open, put them in a nylon bag and weigh the bag down. I drop it in while I condition it at 35F, and then give it 3 to 5 days, checking it regularly until I hit my desired level and then I pull the beans.

Your grain bill looks good, but I'd drop the Simcoe hop addition, and bump up your Magnum some to match your IBU. The Simcoe is going to be lost by the vanilla. Pacman is a good yeast for this recipe.

When I make my Vanilla stout, I cut my beans open, put them in a nylon bag and weigh the bag down. I drop it in while I condition it at 35F, and then give it 3 to 5 days, checking it regularly until I hit my desired level and then I pull the beans.

Ok I was hoping for a hint of harsh, earthy bitterness from the Simcoe but I think the late willamette should give me the flavor I want.

I haven't used pacman before, so that should be interesting.

I'm also going to try and Vanilla the living daylights out of this one. I've never had a vanilla beer - porter, stout, etc- I felt had enough vanilla flavor. Swmbo agrees with this statement lol.

Back