*advice needed* Hops exploding with life, I'm a bit overwhelmed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyHills

Reaction score
So I have a plant that's three years old this season, and it's really showing me it's full strength this year!
I want to be able to get the full potential out of my plane but I'm not exactly sure what to do at this stage as far as pruning goes.

I counted 62 shoots growing at the moment and I'm sure more will be popping up in no time, I'm just not sure what to do as far as cutting back the growth and how many lines to set for them to climb.

Advice is greatly appreciated!

I'm in my 3rd year too and 3 of mine are going crazy as well.

What I have done in the past is limit the plant to 4 strings and do 2 bines to a string. Prune all the little guys and keep the strongest looking bines. Be sure to water just about daily and fertilize once a month. I've been using compost a few times a season too and it looks like it's working well.

The easiest thing to do would be to whack them all - then train the next few that pop up.
If you do leave some of the originals, be sure to cut out the larger ones - these are the bulls. They are hollow, put out less cones, and easily snap.

Back