Advice for newbie using Bread yeast to make wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoninBrewMaster

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
As a new brewer, i simply need any advice on the best way to make home brew wine with bread yeast. I am using the brand, "saf-levure"
I am currently working somewhere overseas where alcohol is prohibited. I have access to grape juice, I'm using "Danya" because it has no preservatives. Table sugar white or brown. and as mentioned only the bread yeast is available. Any advice on how to make the best product possible with little to no equipment available due to it's just not legal to buy any homebrewing equipment?
My first thoughts are that, the yeast and how to pitch is probably my biggest hurdle, but any input is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Don't use grape juice, use something more flavourful. Grape juice will produce something very bland and without much flavour.

Passion fruit juice would be excellent, for example.

Just add a bit of sugar, mix it, add yeast, airlock, ferment, when done, degas, add a bit more sugar, wait till it is done, Degas, add a bit more sugar, degas..... Continue till the sugar does not ferment anymore. Then the yeast reached its alcohol tolerance and you can add sugar according to your taste and it won't ferment further.

After that, let it clear on its own for a few weeks and then bottle. Done!

Last edited:
Don't use grape juice, use something more flavorful. Grow juice will produce something very bland and without much flavour.

Kind of a weirdly broad statement to make given that the majority of wine today is made exclusively from grapes.

I think the intent here is to say wine made from generic table grape juice is going to be bland but even then that is not uniformly true. Depending upon OP's location there might be more flavorful grape juice available.

That said, this website https://winemaking.jackkeller.net/ is a good resource for how to make a variety of table wines out of all sorts of fruit and fruit juices. All of the recipes are for small batches but you can easily scale them up.

Kind of a weirdly broad statement to make given that the majority of wine today is made exclusively from grapes.

I think the intent here is to say wine made from generic table grape juice is going to be bland but even then that is not uniformly true. Depending upon OP's location there might be more flavorful grape juice available.

That said, this website https://winemaking.jackkeller.net/ is a good resource for how to make a variety of table wines out of all sorts of fruit and fruit juices. All of the recipes are for small batches but you can easily scale them up.
Sure, if you have excellent grapes, excellent yeast and excellent skills and equipment, then you can make excellent wine out of grapes.

But it is much easier to make something nice from other fruits, so given the conditions, I would rather use some fruits which yield good results with a simpler process.

Thanks, but there is only very basic resources available. No grapes/no passion-fruit/no air locks/no nothing. I am stuck in an environment with one type of cheap juice that has no preservatives and bread yeast only and white and brown table sugar.

Thanks, but there is only very basic resources available. No grapes/no passion-fruit/no air locks/no nothing. I am stuck in an environment with one type of cheap juice that has no preservatives and bread yeast only and white and brown table sugar.
You can use a balloon or a condom as a airlock. Just make a tiny while with a needle inside of it and put it over the opening of the bottle.

Thank you , Miraculix! I think i need the most advice on yeast. I'm using the big 19 liter water bottles. I'm dumping 12 liters of room temp grape juice in. Then i cook 2 liters on the stove to dissolve 1 kg of white table sugar and toss it in with the other 12 liters. It brings the temp to a nice 80 Fahrenheit, approximately. Then throw in 2 teaspoons of the bread yeast, I get fermentation activity, but, maybe it doesn't sustain long enough, nor, consume all the sugars, because the end product is too sweet and very little alcohol content

Back