Advice for my build, what works for you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Option

Reaction score
I have just about everything for my all grain rig but on trying to decide exactly how to set it up and looking for some personal experiences to help.

For vessels I have a,
-10gal round home depot cooler
-15gal boilermaker
-keggle

I was originally planning on mashing in with the cooler but have since along the way picked up a RIMS tube so maintaining temp isnt that big of a issue any more. I dont want to be restricted to 5gal with my system, I know I can brew 10gal batches using a cooler but I like brewing big beers with big grain bills so I would like to have the extra space.

So the question is should I buy a false bottom for the Blichmann and use it for mash? or use it for boil and buy a false bottom and dip tube for the keggle and use it to mash?

Just trying to get everything set up and would like to know what the most efficient way to do things are around brew day since I dont have much experience yet.

Thanks!

Mashing in the cooler is nice because of the simplicity. However many 10gal batches won't mash in that thing. I know I have a similar setup.

I would probably boil in the Blichmann. It already has a site tube, and a dip tube which make it pretty solid for boiling. I might be making this up, but the size and construction of the kettle might be more conducive to heat absorption, making it more efficient for boiling than the keggle.

Still though the Blichmann has a built in thermometer which would be cool for mashing, and the pre-made false bottom is convenient.

You should probably just buy another boilermaker and use one for mashing one for boiling :p

You should probably just buy another boilermaker and use one for mashing one for boiling :p

Damn it thats was my solution that I didn't want to hear!! lol They are soo nice but not cheap... I guess I can use the keggle to mash for a while then sell it to help fund another Blichmann, lol.

Im deff not gonna mash in the cooler just because of not being able to hold enough grain, and the fact that I already have RIMS to control temp.
I am just gonna use that as HLT to hold hot water.

Latest posts

Back