Advice before AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EHV

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So first off, I haven't done a water profile as of yet. With that said, my first 2 recipes were Mr. Beer Raspberry Wheat Ale and American Light and both turned out really good with no out of ordinary taste. These were made with straight tap water with chlorine allowed to evaporate.
My extract brews Caribou Slobber, Irish Red Ale x2, all have the metallic taste and used RO water from my RO system for 2 of the brews and 1 Tap Water. Late additions were utilized on the 2 Irish Reds.
Now, my Witbier and my Hefeweizen turned out excellent using RO like previous recipes and utilized late additions. No metallic taste at all. These were all NB recipes.
Is the "twang" more common to the dark malt syrup extracts? I want to narrow down my options before I waste a whole AG brew day to the same end results.

Water chemistry is exponentially more important to all grain brewing. If you even suspect your flavor issue to be water related, I'd get that figured out before trying an all grain batch. It's not that all grain is difficult, there's just more variables that can cause problems. If you already have an issue you haven't nailed down, you're asking for trouble...

Water chemistry is exponentially more important to all grain brewing. If you even suspect your flavor issue to be water related, I'd get that figured out before trying an all grain batch. It's not that all grain is difficult, there's just more variables that can cause problems. If you already have an issue you haven't nailed down, you're asking for trouble...
Most definitely agree. I don't want to waste a day of work so I'm here seeking help to narrow it down.....hopefully. I will also add that my Dead Ringer IPA turned out good as well without any metallic taste using RO with a late addition.

Were all your beers with the metallic taste non-RO water? Evaporation will dissipate chlorine, but not chloramine, which is a more common disinfectant of public water supplies...

Demus said:
Were all your beers with the metallic taste non-RO water? Evaporation will dissipate chlorine, but not chloramine, which is a more common disinfectant of public water supplies...
Our municipal runs chlorine here. Both non RO and RO had the metallic in the darker beers.

Change your extract. This is what cured me of the dreaded extract "twang". Between the mixed LME and getting most of your color and flavor from the brands your using. Try using ultra light LME and using the steeping grains for color and flavor. I would really nail down a few batches before going forward.

I will have to double check my records but the recipes had the malt syrup of some sort. I also was thinking all the recipes with the funk to them had steeping grains.

Sounds like maybe you just got some old, canned extract. Generally, if you use the lightest, freshest extract you can get and use fresh steeping grains (crystal and/or roasted) for flavor and color you can make high quality beer. If you can't, you probably won't with all grain either...

Back