advice - adding dregs to barrel sours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NBBC13

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been skimming the threads and haven't found the advice I'm looking for yet. We've been brewing some sours for couple of years now and have had some good luck. Last fall, we purchased our first 12 gallon barrel. we made a 11.5 gallon golden ale sour below and transferred to the barrel 2 months ago with Belgian Sour Mix WLP655. So far so good (early on). our goal is after it's ready in 8-12 months, we want to pull off a portion and pour it over fruit to make our sours and keep replening the stock in the barrel.

we'd like to add some complexity to the beer by adding dregs (thinking either Allagash FV-13 or Oud Bruin from Verzet). what I'm trying to figure out, if fermentation is already done and bugs have been chewing for a couple months, when is right time to add the dregs? Is it after we pull the first batch from the barrel and add more fermented golden ale? Or can you add it anytime?
-thanks for the help

Golden Ale sour
- 16 lbs pilsner
- 2.7 lb white wheat
- 1.4 lb aromatic malt
- 1.4 lb flaked oats
- 1 lb spelt
- 0.3 oz Hallertau (aged 8 months)
- fermented with california ale yeast

Any and all times! Also, what you're doing is called a solera. You might have better search luck using that term.

yeah, that's what we've been calling it. but since we're not doing the classic "stacking", I left it out. But to your point, I should have searched it with the term.

Back