Adventures in Partigyle'ing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthBay

Reaction score
Yesterday I did my first partigyle brew, and figured i'd share a couple of things I learned about it.

The plan:
Mash in to hit 152 with 19# 2 row, 2# munich, 2# caramel 30, 60 minutes
Drain the first runnings to collect appx 6 gallons of wort.
Boil that (Simcoe and Citra hops).
Add 2# rye malt and 1# flaked rye to the grist
Mash in again to hit 152 again, another 60 minutes.

How it actually worked:

1. I dont know if I measured too much grain or miscalculated my water volumes. My initial mash temp was about 150-151, and my cooler tun was FULL. seriously, wort dripping down the side, can't quite close the lid full. My thinking: Its an IIPA up first, so 150 is ok. LESSON LEARNED: Partigyle takes up a LOT of volume!

2. While draining the first wort, i realized i needed to start heating up the second mash water. But my Boil Kettle was filling up with wort! Thankfully, i do a lot of cooking and have an assortment of large pots. It took 3 of them, and every inch of space on my stove to get the volume of water heated. LESSON LEARNED: Even though i'll be able to do the actual boil in the same kettle, I still need some way of heating up 6-7 gallons of water at once! borrow a buddy's boil kettle!

3. Mashing in for the weaker beer. As it turns out, that 3 pounds of grain actually takes up EVEN MORE ROOM in the mash tun. I wasnt able to fit all of my second strike water, which left me with another completely full mash tun and a temp of 144. After a bit of thinking, i decided to drain about a gallon or so of wort and bring it to a boil for a bit to lose some volume, and then add it back, kind of like an ultra thin decoction. I ended up having to do this twice, first jumped it to 150, then another to jump it to 152. LESSON LEARNED: Next time, increase strike temp by about 10 degrees!

4. At this point, I decided to glance at beersmith again. Low and behold, i undershot the hops on the first beer, which pretty much crushed my spirits. Instead of 2oz of Simcoe @ 60 minutes, i'd only added 1oz. Dang. Recalculated, and found that it'll only give me about 60 ibus instead of the 90 planned. LESSON LEARNED: read your recipe sheet!

5. After that, everything was pretty much smooth sailing. Pitched yeast in both and relaxed. I awoke this morning to a mess in my pantry, however, as the big beer had errupted through/past the airlock! Thankfully, i'd been careful about sanitizing it, so i'm not too worried about an infection. However, i did have to fashion a blow off tube for it this morning. LESSON LEARNED: its not over until i'm drinking the beer.

Anyways, i figured i'd post about the things I'd learned from this, in case anyone else was thinking about doing a partigyle brew. It was kinda fun, in the same way that your first decoction mash is 'fun.'

Partigyles can be a blast, but they certainly do carry their hazards :mug:. Regarding point 1, I don't think you explicitly mention what type of cooler you're using, but if it's a 10 gallon round cooler, that certainly makes sense. With 25# of grains in there, that thing's pretty stuffed as it is; when you compound that with planning to get 6 gallons out of your first runnings, that means you'll be dumping upwards of 9 gallons of liquid *in addition* to the grain capacity.

25# is about as high as I can imagine my 10 gallon cooler doing with a standard mash (e.g., with batch sparge). Of course, if you have a larger one, my point is moot :).

Yeah, no kidding.

I used a square/rectangular coleman cooler, supposedly capable of holding 48 quarts.

I checked my beersmith settings, and apparently i'd had it set at 11 gallons instead of 10. That probably explains a lot of my issues. Next time, scaling back a pound or two may be nec. Besides, my efficiency was pretty good (estimated 1.080, got 1.085, on the first runnings; second beer was estimated at 1.060, and i hit that exactly).

Anyways, i'm now 24 hours into fermentation. My pantry stays about 64 during the day, about 60 at night. The small beer is progressing as anticipated, using s04, bubbling nicely.

The big beer, however, is another matter. I pitched some nottingham yeast that i'd washed yesterday. This morning, i woke to find the 3-piece airlock had filled up with beer, and the bucket lid was covered. I fitted it with a blowoff tube.

Came home this afternoon to find the large glass (like 36oz's) had filled up with 'blow off' and overflowed onto the lid again. I asked the SWMBO about it, since she was home today, and she said shed gone into the pantry and cleaned up that exact same scenario twice already today. Insane. Can't say i'd ever had a fermentation this violent. I'm glad the temp is sitting at 62 in the pantry now, since i imagine its probably way hotter in the fermenter.

Back