Advantage to SS hardware?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stjackson

Reaction score
I'm looking to add a valve and side pick-up tube to my boil kettle and was wondering:

Is there a big advantage to getting stainless steel stuff over brass or copper? In the interest of budget, I was considering the brass valve and copper pick-up tube, but if there is a real reason to go with the SS, I'll spend the extra cash.

IMO no. There is a bling factor and some would argue that there is the potential for the brass fitting to leach some lead into your beer.

The price difference, though, is not enough to make me personally want to use brass for boiling temps.

You may get some copper leaching, but supposedly the yeast will process the tiny amount that you might get. That is why copper is fine pre-fermentation, but frowned upon for post fermentation use where an acidic solution like beer might sit in the copper for any length of time.

I used brass fittings old my old setup and never had a problem. however, after about a year of use there was some corrosion starting on the Brass. Probably could have been cleaned off, but I sold the stuff for my new setup so I wasn't worried. When I did the new setup, I figured I wanted to never have to worry about the fittings so I went stainless. Expensive- yes Bling- definitely Pay a high price now and never have to worry about them again- yes
tom

Brass fittings actually cost more than stainless due the rise in copper prices.

They work the same. Generally there is a very small amount of lead unless the fittings are manufactured with a lead free alloy and marked as such.

Stainless will hold up better against caustic cleaning agents.

Latest posts

Back