Adjusting recipe for color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGeek

Reaction score
When making adjustments to a recipe to darken/lighten color, which is typically easiest to do without affecting the flavor of the beer too much? I came up with a recipe for an irish red ale and the flavor is pretty spot on, but its more of an irish orange ale than red.

The options I came up with were:

-Go with a darker crystal malt to begin with (Used 90L)
-Steep the partial longer (did 30 first time)
-Boil all my extract for the full 60 minutes
-Add another grain that might give more 'red' to the finished product.

Thoughts? Any options I left out?

When making adjustments to a recipe to darken/lighten color, which is typically easiest to do without affecting the flavor of the beer too much? I came up with a recipe for an irish red ale and the flavor is pretty spot on, but its more of an irish orange ale than red.

The options I came up with were:

-Go with a darker crystal malt to begin with (Used 90L)
-Steep the partial longer (did 30 first time)
-Boil all my extract for the full 60 minutes
-Add another grain that might give more 'red' to the finished product.

Thoughts? Any options I left out?

Without the recipe it is hard to make a call, but my general recommendation for an Irish red would be to add another ounce of roasted barley.

What was your recipe?

Here's the recipe:

1lb 90L Crystal Malt
0.25lb Carapils
0.25lb Biscuit

2lb light DME 60
2lb light DME 15

1.5oz goldings 60
0.5oz goldings 15
0.5oz goldings at knockout

It was just a touch malty for my taste, some roasted barley might offer a stronger flavor.

Also this is the first recipe I've come up with on my own so if it looks a little batty, its because I was flying blind. heh

The Irish Red I made 4 Months ago had the opposite issue with color. I too thought the flavor was good, but I was too dark. I used 5 oz roasted barley so I would suggest 3 oz to start.

Are you using an software to help with your recipe formulation?

Yeah. Between Ray Daniels "Designing Great Beers", the BJCP guidelines, my BrewPal software and my limited knowledge of certain grains, this is what I came up with.

I think a touch of marris otter and roasted barley is going to be the solution to the problem.

Back