adjusting bitterness in a failed whirlpool hop attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustyhub

Reaction score
I did a little experimentation last week with my California common recipe. I decided to try whirlpool hopping.

From what I read, typical whirlpool hopping gets about 10% hop utilization. So according to my software, my cal common should be right around 40 IBU's. But what I tasted today is probably closer to 15 (which if you delete the whirlpool hops from my recipe in the software, that's about what I should get).

I have two questions:

1. Did I "whirpool" correctly? After flame out, I added 2oz of hops to the wort and kept them in there until the wort was chilled (about 45 minutes).

And 2. Assuming that my beer is indeed 15 IBU, how can I up the bitterness at this point? (I've thought about making a 1 gallon batch with increased IBU to get where I want it to be, but I don't know an equation for figure how much I need to add and at what IBU)

Thanks for your help in advance!

You could calculate the hop needed to reach 40 ibu in your recipe, then do a 1-2 liters batch with all this hop and add to the wort. But I'll leave it as it is.
Whirlpool procedure is ok, but I personally calculate 0 IBU for hops added at end boil.

You could calculate the hop needed to reach 40 ibu in your recipe, then do a 1-2 liters batch with all this hop and add to the wort. But I'll leave it as it is.
Whirlpool procedure is ok, but I personally calculate 0 IBU for hops added at end boil.

do you think i could just boil hops in a quart of water for 60 minutes and add that? its a 5 gallon batch, so i dont think adding a quart of water would make a huge difference as far as watering it down.

and as far as my whirlpool IBU, I will definitely calculate it as 0 bitterness from now on. you live and you learn i guess. it just sucks to learn on a big batch of your favorite beer :D

do you think i could just boil hops in a quart of water for 60 minutes and add that? its a 5 gallon batch, so i dont think adding a quart of water would make a huge difference as far as watering it down.

no, it will not make a huge difference with a quart of water. you can do that

I've tried that stuff, to me it just gives the beer a soapy taste.

On the other hand, I have "rescued" under-bittered beer with the suggested boil-up-some-hops-in-water trick and liked the results. I suggest you make that water 5-10% sugar or maltodextrin (I find that helps extract some hop flavor, too), and add just a few drops of phosphoric to get the pH down below about 5 (I find that helps reduce extracted vegetal flavor).

I've tried that stuff, to me it just gives the beer a soapy taste.

On the other hand, I have "rescued" under-bittered beer with the suggested boil-up-some-hops-in-water trick and liked the results. I suggest you make that water 5-10% sugar or maltodextrin (I find that helps extract some hop flavor, too), and add just a few drops of phosphoric to get the pH down below about 5 (I find that helps reduce extracted vegetal flavor).

Dang. A day late and a dollar short haha. I boiled the hops and water last night, and then put it in a French press to remove all the sediment. I threw it in my beer today.

I ended up just doing straight water, but dropping the pH and adding some extract is a good idea. Hopefully I won't have to, but if I find myself in this situation again, I'll definitely try it!

Back