Adjust Flamout Hop Addition for Counterflow Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHead73

Brewmaster at Jbyrd Brewing, Hophead
Reaction score
Just brewed a clone of Russian Rivers Hill 2 Row 56 Pale Ale and it called for a flameout addition of 1oz of Simcoe.
Using Beersmith calculated it should steep for 10mins to reach the proper IBU extraction and then I started to run the wort through my counterflow chiller which took about 20mins.
I never thought about it until then, shouldn't I have plugged that addition in Beersmith at 20 instead of 10mins since the wort in the kettle is still around 200degrees and there is still alpha acid isomerization going on and just started running it through the chiller as soon as I added the hops and not let it sit first?
It would increase the IBUs and possibly effect the aroma from that last addition, or not?
Thoughts?

My thought is "no" for two reasons. First IBU calculations are not particularly accurate and you are never going to exactly clone their beer/process/flavor/IBU, and second, if your counter flow chiller is pretty fast at getting from 200 to below 170 then you're out of isomerization territory for most hop acids. You may get a bit more flavor and two or three more IBUs but nobody will taste the difference, and IBU estimations are inaccurate enough that you may be right on target anyway.

Ok makes sense.
What do you suggest with a counterflow chiller with hops scheduled for flameout then?
Since it take ~20mins to chill 5.75gallons, just toss the hop addition in at flame out and then start chilling right away?
That way the hops are basically steeping in the kettle at around 180degrees for that 20min period.

Latest posts

Back