Additions at bottling inside the bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BandonBrewingCo

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it possible to make additions inside the bottles themselves? Like lets say you want to experiment, but not split batches, rather just "sacrifice" one or two pints?

Or say you want lots of tiny experiments, for example in different bottles one could add:
  • Orange Peel
  • Lemon Peel
  • Chilli
  • Vanilla
  • A few hop leaves
  • A bit of extra sugar to see what the beer is like ultra carbed
  • Pureed and boiled fruit
  • And so on

Any reason I shouldn't be doing this? The only thing I can think of offhand is sanitary concerns but at bottling time the risk is relatively low and most of these additions are not very conducive to bacteria anyway

I think its a great experiment for SURE! I have been wanting to try this with some bourbon aged oak chips too. 1 or 2 per bottle and see how it goes. I would agree that most teh stuff you listed is low risk, just make sure you wash the oranges or lemons before you zest. I say do it and make sure you post some results!!

Yes it works well.
I tried with lime leaves in a Mexican lager. After one day there was a fresh hint of lime in the beer, but after 3-4 days the beer tasted perfume.:(

Latest posts

Back