Adding zest to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexacuna

Reaction score
I don't keep vodka on hand at home, has anyone just washed or quickly boiled the fruit whole before adding it with success?

You could scrub the fruit well with detergent to get off any wax, then rinse well and sanitize the outside before zesting.

You could scrub the fruit well with detergent to get off any wax, then rinse well and sanitize the outside before zesting.

I ended up just zesting into a pot and bringing it to a quick boil with some water. We'll see! It's just being added to a SMaSH so it's all an experiment anyways.

Side note: this citra/vienna smash i brewed prior is amazing.

I've zested grapefruit w/ just a quick wash for my grapefruit IPA with no problems on at least 6 batches...and I've used raspberries, jalapenos and peaches w/o boiling on at least 13 batches and haven't had any issues...

I've zested grapefruit w/ just a quick wash for my grapefruit IPA with no problems on at least 6 batches...and I've used raspberries, jalapenos and peaches w/o boiling on at least 13 batches and haven't had any issues...

I figured that it would be okay with a quick wash (and will do that next time).

Latest posts

Back