adding yeast when botteling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnstr71

Reaction score
Hey folks,

So I am gonna bottle my apple pie ale today. I have a question for ya'll.

But first....seems like when ever I have bottled a beer with something other than basic beer ingredients, it has not carbed as I would have liked. I did a an american ale, with apple cider and a cinnamin stick. Has conditioned for 3 wk.s. I am going to add 3/4 cup of dextrose...plus a cpl tbs. to botteling bucket, as normal.
I have never added yeast during the botteling stage. I thought I might try today. I have some in the fridge that Ive pulled out. Got it from a local craft brewer and used on this recipe.
My question is....what is the best method for doing this? or should I? how much, if so? (5 gal batch) do u add with corn surger into bucket b4 racking?
Sorry guess I meant questions....lol. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
thanx

I think I would add more bottling sugar to boost better carbination before I would try to add more yeast. What temperature are you conditioning at, and what yeast strain have you been using?

Unless your beer is very high ABV and/or been aging for months, all that you'll accomplish by adding more yeast is create more yeast trub in the bottom of each bottle and possibly make the beer a bit more cloudy. It won't help with carbonation.

Most folks that have to add yeast at bottling only use about 20% of an 11g packet of a neutral dry ale yeast.

you want more carbonation, throw in a cup and half of dextrose. thats what i do with my wits and they carbonate excellent!

Back