Adding yeast to bottle after 1.5 month secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InityBrew

Reaction score
Hey team HBT,

I have a imperial porter (9.5%) fermented with us05 that sat in primary for 4 weeks, and now has been sitting in a secondary for 6 weeks on whiskey soaked oak cubes.

Should add some more yeast at bottling or do you think it will carb on its own?

Any input will be appreciated! I plan on bottling this Sunday (the 6th) when I return from vacation.

Bk

I would rehydrate a half teaspoon of any dry ale yeast and add that to the bottling bucket.

Cheap insurance.

Is there some live yeast? Sure. Is it enough to carb your beer in 3 weeks? Probably not. 8 weeks? Maybe. Three months? Definitely.

Could I boil my priming sugar, cool to 70, add a half teaspoon of yeast to that, rehydrate and then mix?

Could I boil my priming sugar, cool to 70, add a half teaspoon of yeast to that, rehydrate and then mix?
I think the presence of sugar would negatively affect the rehydrating process. It also might add time, because the priming sugar will take a lot longer to cool than one or two ounces of water.

I usually boil some water, pour a bit in a sanitized mug (maybe 2 oz water), let it cool covered in the fridge (this takes only maybe 15 minutes) and then add the yeast when the water in the mug/glass is below 100. Even if you just let the yeast soak for 5 minutes, it really helps get it evenly distributed in your bottling bucket versus adding it dry. A longer rehydration (say 20 minutes) would be ideal.

My process for filling the bottling bucket: I typically start the siphon, add the hot priming sugar solution, and then add the yeast when the bucket is a little over half full.

Out of curiosity have you not been bottling because you haven't been brewing or because you usually force carb? If the latter, is there a particular reason you want to bottle condition this one?

I have been kegging for the last three years and decided that I wanted to bottle condition these two gallons.(I kegged the other 3 gallons 1.5 months ago)

I ended up adding my boiled and cooled priming sugar to bucket, siphoning beer, and the sprinkling a little us05 in each bottle before I capped. It wasnt that much of a pain since it was only two gallons.

All in all it tasted great uncarbed and I am excited to taste it in a few weeks

Back