Adding yeast at bottleing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ply318ci

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian strong ale at around 11.5% ABV that has been in primary for 3 weeks now This is the max amount that safbrew s-33 can handle according to safbrew website. So my question is when it comes to bottling should I add another yeast like champagne yeast since it can handle high ABV and only ferments simple sugars to bottle prime or will the s-33 be able to handle it on their own. I pitched the entire 11.5g packet into a one gallon batch if that helps. Thanks.

I think the numbers on the sites indicate where you'll see more dramatic changes in flavor, as opposed to killing off all the yeast. You'll probably carb up just fine as is.

You should be just fine with the yeast you've got in the finished beer. I've pushed ale yeast near it's limit and had it carb up fine. If you were to age this beer for many months, a repitch at bottling may be necessary, but at less that a month, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Back