Adding vanilla extract at bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmarshall1087

Reaction score
Hey everyone- relative newb here. I have about 6 brews under my belt, including one that I had to toss.

That tossed batch was a vanilla cream ale in which I was supposed to rack to secondary, add vanilla extract, and let sit for a week...it got infected and went real bad

That said, I'm making it again. This time everything has been on point. Except I'm NOT racking to secondary. Its been in primary 12 days, and has been done fermenting since day 8.

I am torn between bottling and kegging right now, but my question is this...if I add 4oz of Pure Vanilla Extract at bottling, do I still do 4-5oz of priming sugar? (Its a 5Gal batch btw).

Input is appreciated!

If you're torn between bottling and kegging... keg it. You can then play with the amount of vanilla until you're happy and know exactly what to add the next go-around. As for adding priming sugar if you decide to bottle, yes, you will need it.

If you're torn between bottling and kegging... keg it. You can then play with the amount of vanilla until you're happy and know exactly what to add the next go-around. As for adding priming sugar if you decide to bottle, yes, you will need it.
Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards kegging, except I don't have a free tap right now! My basement fridge is empty haha.

As for the priming sugar, I knew I would need it. I just wasn't sure if I still needed the full amount, or if the vanilla extract provided some sugars to offset it. I'm not quite up to speed on those calculations yet.

According to a quick Google, vanilla extract contains 1.6 grams of sugar per tablespoon.
Less than noise wrt calculating a priming charge...

Cheers!

Back