Adding valve to corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

santanman

Reaction score
I'm interested in adding a tire type valve to my corny keg. 1st, I'd like to know if this is possible. I think ive seen this before to turn one into a sprayer.

I'm thinking of filling the keg with starsan and running it through my tap for cleaning. Instead of wasting co2, I have a compressor that I would like to use to force it out.

Any ideas on why this would be bad? Ideas on instillation?

My only concern would be how clean the air from the compressor was. The inside of your compressor can have all sorts of nasties in it.

This is a workable idea. I'd like to throw out one more possibility for your consideration.

Instead of modifying the keg, why not make an adapter out of tubing? You could have a Schrader valve (tire stem) on one end, some tubing, and the corny ball or pin connector on the other end. This should cost about $10-12. Then you won't have another potential leak in your keg.

I'm with mblanks2 on this; compressed air may compromise the level of sanitation that you are trying to achieve.

I'm not sure how one would consistently produce sanitary compressed air at home.

Another big issue with most standard air compressors is you get a bit of air compressor oil mixed into the air which could compromise taste and sanitation.

Good points all around. Thx for the great responses to my first post. I think I'll shelf the idea.

I have an industrial air compressor at work and I wouldn't put that through a keg. It has a chiller and a nice filter attached to it but there is still trace oil and other particles...

You would basically need a very expensive one that would be pure air. A 100k compressor which compresses air for firefighter tanks comes to mind...so yea...

Just do this instead.

I just made a similar set up. Got a cheapo pump at harbor freight for $12.

So I can drop the pump in a bucket to clean out the taps, or with attach a ball lock disconnect to the hose on the pump outlet, and run oxyclean, then star san, through my kegs. It's pretty great.

I do this all the time.
Just use an air blower (one that has a rubber tip) on your air hose... Fill the corny with your choice of cleaner, connect the corny quick-connect to the corny, blow air into the connector (the pop-off valve will release any dangerous pressure levels), then remove the quick connector while still under pressure.
By the way, there is no fear of contamination even from the worst of air comressors... you're pushing cleaner (and then sanitizer) through the lines, not air.
After the corny has served it's purpose, clean it normally.

Back