Adding TC ports to an electric urn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruce_the_loon

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I've begun the process of modifying my BIAB electric urn to better fit the needs of brewing. The urn originally had a Bakelite tap which has now been replaced with a weldless 1.5" TC port to which a dip tube and ball valve will be attached. Inside the urn is a centrally mounted 3kW element and a removable grid that keeps the bag from contacting the element.

DSC_0636.JPG

The electric urn

DSC_0623.JPG

Closeup of the TC port fitted to replace the Bakelite tap.

DSC_0613.JPG

All the bits for the project. One bulkhead has gone to the fermenter.

The next part of the plan is rather nebulous and I'm looking for some input and ideas. Two more bulkhead fittings are available and I am considering placing one level with the current port, either for a thermowell or a re-circulation intake port. I don't want to drop it any lower as I am concerned about unrolling the bottom seam with the crush tension of the bulkhead.

If I go for re-circulation, then I'd need a return port on the upper side of the urn. Should that port be vertically aligned with the lower intake port or rotated around the urn somewhat?

Currently I do manual re-circulation with a jug during mash-out to both speed the temperature rise by getting hot wort from the element space to the top of the wort; and to reduce stratification. If I fitted the ports as I propose, then I could also do a proper whirlpool at the end of the boil as opposed to stirring with a mash paddle to get a partial whirlpool going.

Is this the most worthwhile way to modify the urn or is there another configuration I should implement that would allow for better mashing & boiling processes than I envisage?

Back