Adding tannin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyturner87

Reaction score
Hello. I have this Mint wine on the go and it was a fairly clear yellowy green colour before I added some tannin, under the advice of someone who had made this before, and now it has obviously gone a kind of orangey brown colour and basically I was just wondering whether or not this colour will still clear? Because im guessing that, as i plan to add a bit of green food colouring at the end (lol), it would be easier to dye the yellowy green colour than the orangey brown colour.
Or would it not matter? I'v never made mint wine or use food colouring before so im sorry if this really does sound as stupid as I now think it does.
Cheers.
Andy

How much tannin did you add? It should integrate with the wine, but I admit I've never added tannin to a non red wine...

About a half teaspoon in a gallon. I dont think it matters anyway now i cant get it going! Theres a bit of foam and yeast is floating but no sign of carbon dioxide

andyturner87 said:
About a half teaspoon in a gallon. I dont think it matters anyway now i cant get it going! Theres a bit of foam and yeast is floating but no sign of carbon dioxide

Stir your must, add some yeast nutrient. How much sugar did you add?

About 1.4kg. Im gonna throw it found a couple of tiny flies in there! Not cool. Never mind. Thats 3 failed attempts at mint wine!

Back