adding sweetness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbitting

Reaction score
brewed a wheat beer and added fresh strawberrys during second fermentation, took fruit out and doing a final fermentation tasted tart any suggestions on sweeting beer at this point before I bottle

lactose is milk sugar that will not ferment out, I would avoid artificial sweetener since I think it makes stuff have a bad aftertaste

thanks for reply,does lactose have any down side and would beer supply store have it

lactose is a sugar, so it will make you fat - other than that not really any down side. home brew shops carry it, but it's usually cheaper to buy online

Were this something new you were brewing, I'd have suggested adding maltodextrin, which adds body as well as sweetness... but given that this is a completed beer, and I would go with lactose. Dissolve it in hot water as you would the priming sugar, and add it to the beer just before bottling.

I made a ginger ale recently that ended up really dry (~1.002). I used yeast stabilizer indicated for sweetening wine (kills off the yeast) and then added a simple syrup that I boiled on the stove for sanitation right before kegging. It would only work with force carbonating a keg as you have no residual yeast to naturally carbonate. It eliminates the "effects" of using lactose.

as far as how much lactose to add, you should go a little at a time to get to the point you find the sweetness appropriate.

Latest posts

Back