Adding Sugar to the Fermentation for Strong Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz

Reaction score
I've read where many of you add the sugars for a given recipe directly to the fermentation in small doses spread out over several days. Apparently this is helpful for the yeast and they can be more successful in attaining the low FG desired.

Are there any articles or posts that cover this in greater detail? I'm assuming one doesn't just add dry sugar to the fermenting brew.

Cheers...

Adding sugar to boil and/or fermentation leads to higher alcohol level, doesn’t tends to change your FG as long as all this added sugar will be used by the yeast.
If your mash schedule yields lots of unfermentable sugars adding sugar to fermentation isn’t gonna change the high FG, because these long chain sugar still aren’t gonna be fermented, just the sugar you added.
And the best way to add sugar to fermentation is boiling it and dumping the solution into fermenter

Yes, optimally (if you don't overexaggerate it) sugar will not change FG but will elevate abv without the corresponding maltiness or full mouthfeel. It means that you get a strong but relatively thin bodied beer, something that is preferred for certain styles but unwanted in some other styles. Typical styles that rely on sugar are Belgian golden ales and tripels, if you ever taste these u may get the idea.
And yes, you want to boil the sugar to avoid contaminations. There are several types of sugar that could be used, some of them may give a little bit of flavor, too. There are also unfermentable sugars (lactose) that can be used to increase sweetness & FG. You can google 'byo sugar' to find some articles published in brew your own.

Last edited:
I typically add all my boiled sugar slurry into my Belgians 3-4 days into the ferment. This way the yeast have a while to make plenty of the enzymes needed to consume the Maltose. I've added up to 2ibs of sugar into a 6g batch, but most often 1.5ibs into a 10g batch.

Back