Adding Sugar to a Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreBourbon

Reaction score
Hi, Im new to this and Im brewing a Brew Canada Canadian Red. Got my airlock in and she's bubbling already but I read that I can add 4 cups of brown sugar to my 23L to raise the % age. Can I add the sugar after the suggested 5 day wait before transferring to my secondary fermentor/carboy?

Thanks.

Hi, Im new to this and Im brewing a Brew Canada Canadian Red. Got my airlock in and she's bubbling already but I read that I can add 4 cups of brown sugar to my 23L to raise the % age. Can I add the sugar after the suggested 5 day wait before transferring to my secondary fermentor/carboy?

Thanks.

Nope. Your fermentables should have been added before pitching the yeast, preferably at or before flameout. 4 cups of brown sugar is alot of sugar, I wouldn't even add that at flameout!

Welcome to the hobby, and the forums my fellow Canadian.

Brew on. Enjoy that Red when it's ready.

I have added up to 10 ounces of sugar 2 days after fermentation has started with no problems. I don't know what 10 ounces equates to in cups, but I boiled the sugar in a little bit of water, cooled it ,then poured it in the fermenter. I've read Belgian brewers add sugar a few days after fermentation starts so the yeast eat the maltose first.

I have added up to 10 ounces of sugar 2 days after fermentation has started with no problems. I don't know what 10 ounces equates to in cups, but I boiled the sugar in a little bit of water, cooled it ,then poured it in the fermenter. I've read Belgian brewers add sugar a few days after fermentation starts so the yeast eat the maltose first.

I was picturing 4 cups of raw brown sugar being dumped into primary after 5 days.. I'm not sure that will enhance the flavor profile much, as well as making it a pretty heavy beer. My main concern was risking infection for the benefit of bumping up the ABV. IMO, but I'm not a guru by any stretch as I'm not well acquainted with all brewing processes. Belgians included. 🍻

I think for this batch I will leave it as is but might try adding some sugar next time. Thanks everyone.

8 oz per cup so 10 ounces is a cup and 2 ounces. I agree with DreBourbon. I would leave it out at this point as well. the sugar would have raised the OG and given the beer more abv, perhaps altered the taste some. Live and learn, and don't forget next time.

Yeah. I've actually bought a cheap note book and I'm writing it all down as I go and I'll rate it afterwards. Later I can always reference my notes if I wanna change anything.

FWIW - you can add sugar as an addition to thin and dry out a beer. I wouldn't do it unless it was true to style, and in Belgians it's usually 15 - 20% of total fermentables. When I add them to Belgian Golden ales or Tripels, I boil it for around 5 minutes with some water and then add it to the fermenter just after the main krausen has dropped down which is typically between 3 and 5 days.

Latest posts

Back