Adding sugar during primary/secondary (apfelwein)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RcNick

Reaction score
Last week I found my old airlocks after a 5 year break, and the next day ran into some tantalizing apple juice sold in one gallon carboys at the local co-op.

I snagged some ec1118 on Amazon and got two gallons going on Tuesday with a bit of turbinado I had laying around (about half a cup in each gallon), just to get things going. I bought another gallon today, split it in half, added 4 lbs of light brown sugar to it (plus a few ounces of blackstrap molasses), then added juice back up to a gallon.

The question: If I split my juice/sugar mix into thirds, can I go ahead and rack the stuff I started earlier in the week onto the sugar without adding extra yeast? Fermentation has slowed, but it's still fairly jolly. I have more yeast if needed.

In my mind there's no reason not to, but I'd hate to lose out on three gallons because of some oversight. Thanks in advance!

Back