Adding something to "The Brew House" kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andygb4

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here! So I've been brewing for a little while now, and I've always used "The Brew House" kits because they're simple and good to start off with to learn some of the ropes. I'd like to gradually move towards making it all from scratch, but for now, I only want to take a small step front.

And after 8-9 batches, I wanted to spice things up a little bit and maybe add something to my beer, like Lime or Orange. Now, I can't boil anything in the wort because the wort is already pre-made, so I can only add it in my fermenter.

Let's say I wanted to add Lime into my fermenter, how would I go about this?
Should I buy fresh lime? Or lime zest? Do I add only the peels? or squeeze some juice?

Any advice would help a lot,
Thanks everybody.

There's a good thread on adding lime https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/lime-beer-what-use-80610/?highlight=lime

Pretty much with adding any flavorings to a no boil kit, you would either add it in the primary after the main fermentation is over, the secondary or at bottling time.

If you're adding something in primary or secondary you want to make sure whatever it is is free from infections. There's various ways to do so, depending on what it is.

Steaming (like with wood,) boiling or infusing in alcohol are the three preferred methods for that. But also if you are breaking a sealed packet there's a really good chance that that is safe to just add to the beer. (For example do we just pop things like cheetos in our mouth when we eat them, or do we sanitize them? More than likely if it's in a vaccum sealed packet and you just open it and dump it in you should be ok.

If whatever you are adding is going to re-ferment the beer because it has sugar, you're more than likely going to need to clear the beer after, because just like regular fermentation the yeast is going to produce more trub. So me personally when I'm adding something for example pumpkin puree for a pumpkin beer. I will add it in primary after principal fermentation has ceased (probably about a week after I pitched yeast) then I'd leave it for 2-3 weeks, then AFTER I would rack it to a secondary for two weeks minimum to help clear the beer before bottling or kegging.

The other option is to add the flavoring at bottling/kegging time. And there are different options for those, too, depending on what it is.

You can use an non fermentable artificial extract at bottling or kegging time. These come in small bottles are are usually either artificial flavorings or natural flavorings extracted like above in alcohol. You just dump them in along with any priming solution you might be adding to bottling, or just in the keg as you rack over the beer into it.

The next options are flavoring the priming sugar with something while you boil it. OR priming with an "Alternative sugar."

I've been playing around with flavoring my priming solution at bottling time for that last bit of mouth hit and aroma when you open the bottle. I've done chilies, citrus peels, and even some spices in the boil and strained out after. I decided to add 1.5 ounces of ginger to my priming sugar boil.

179344_10150090926959067_7703006_n.jpg

168032_10150090952399067_531233_n.jpg

As you can see it has a nice straw color as opposed to the clear you are used to. It smelled amazingly like ginger.

169063_10150091001109067_5484234_n.jpg

I've also done it with dried chilli peppers for my chocolate mole porter. And done citrus peels with various beers such as using orange peels in my wits.

You could do it with any dry spice, such as cloves, coriander, star anise for a licorice beer, cinnamon and even a vanilla beer. You can do with this is to add some lactose to the boil as well, since it is unfermentable, it should sweeten the flavor somewhat.

Like I said above, ANY thing fermentable can be used to prime with, AND most of them will lend flavoring to the beer as well. The October 2010 Basic Brewing radio was all about alternative priming methods, and the guest (who btw, although he is a minister, from michigan, and is an expert on bottling, is NOT ME, but the coincidence is freaky) offers info on calculating how to prime with strange things.

October 28, 2010 - Alternate Priming Sugars
Home brewer Drew Filkins shares his technique of using alternative ingredients to put the bubbles in his brew.

Click to Listen-Mp3

Hydrometer readings and sugar content charts from HomeWinemaking.com http://www.home-winemaking.com/winemaking-2b.html

Here's what I did with my Sri Lankin Stout, bottling with Jaggery Mollasses.

I figured out the calculation for using Jaggery Mollasses from Bangladesh to prime my Sri-lankin stout.

Basically what you need to do is look for the sugar or carbhydrate amount in the syrup and the serving size, they are defining it by.

You also want to first calculate how much corn sugar you would normally use to carb to whatever style you are aiming for, then convert that to grams. Then based on the amount of sugar (OR CARBOHYDRATES if sugars is not listed, which on some products labels they don't) per whatever serving size they give, you then will know how much of the stuff to use..

Ie, my stout I want to carb to 2.45 volumes of co2, which measures out to 4.3 oz of corn sugar at 70 degrees.

That works out to 121.9 grams....

That works our to about 5/8 of a cup. I will add that to enough water to get to 2 cups and boil it.

If you CAN'T find any nutritional info (which by law I thought it has to be posted somethwere) you're going to have to fudge it...you can treat it as mollasses, or honey and use the recommended measurment. Refer to the chart above for more info.

Listen to the podcast for a better explantaion..

Other things to consider are hard candies such as jolly ranchers or even peppermint candies, you need to melt them down with water in a double boiler. Jolly ranchers, and mints will really impart a strong flavor. My nephew makes flavored schnapps employing that method and they are full of flavor. Even tootsie rolls might work.

Hope this give you some ideas. have fun.

Belgian wit would be a great summer beer to add orange and coriander.

You can also experiment with dry hopping, liquid yeast, yeast starters, etc.

The Lemon Lime Hefeweizen recipe floating around calls for adding Simpy Limeade to the primary fermenter after the primary fermentation stops/slows. Ive tried it and its pretty good. Ive also just read earlier this morning about mixing Simply Lemonade with Blood Orange extract for a Blood Orange Hefeweizen. I plan on doing this soon. Something like that or any Revvy mentioned sounds like they would be a good start with the kits u mentioned.

wow thanks for all the great suggestions guys! Some greats reads, and I have a lot to learn still :)

thanks everyone!

Back