Adding second runnings to top off first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crashtest22

Reaction score
Hey all,
I am sure this has been asked a few times but I can not find the answer.

I just did a AG Black IPA and came up a little short on the amount in the fermenter plus am a few points low.

my question is can I take the gallon of second runnings didnt boil and boil it down to top off the fermenter to my 5 1/4 gallons?

Thanks in advance

Well there is no law against it. Boil it with a bit of your bittering hops if you have any left. Cool it down, take the hydrometer reading of both batches of wort before you blend them. If you know the volume of each you should be able to calculate your adjusted O.G. However that should be even some points lower than your present wort as you are also adding to the total volume. If you have any liquid or dry malt extract you could fortify that second runnings to give a net add to the gravity to compensate for the original batch being low on the gravity side. Use your judgment. In a pinch you could also add some corn sugar. But when I've missed my O.G. on the low side I've boiled up some additional dry malt extract and added it. Just try to keep track of the change in S.G. before and after the addition. You will end up with a larger wort volume like 5.5-6 gallons depending on the second runnings volume. I'd definitely add some extract if you have any. You should maybe dial it in to boil it so you end up with 5.75-6 gallons so you can have some in a 1 gallon jug.

Target SG was 1.062-66 and I am 60 so not that far off
I boiled down the extra and after 30 min its at 1.071 which seems huge to me
I have about 3/4 gallon of the second.

I do have dme but I think adding 1/2 gallon of those seconds will top me off to 5 1/4 and meet the sg

added and brought me to the right level and 1.064 which is middle ground.
I am happy with that.

thanks for the quick reply

Thanks Buzzer..
Just pitched the yeast so we will see if it worked out in a few weeks.
got some dry hopping to do after primary done then keg and force.
May let it sit for a week after to settle down a little.

Just noticed your in SJ.
I am just over the hill from you

Cheers

Hey cool. If you want to brew something sometime or need anything just let me know.

Back