Adding pumpkin to an extract brew kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello

Reaction score
Hello
I bought a Pumpkin Spice Ale extract brew kit from American Brewmasters. Everything I could possibly need is in a nice little box. However, a review suggests the pumpkin taste isn't quite there. Can I add pumpkin from a can (no spices added) to the kit?

If so, should I ferment for a couple of weeks then add pumpkin or rack to a secondary after a couple of weeks (or when the fermentation is done) and add pumpkin?

Also, do I do anything to the pumpkin? I'm thinking for sanitary purposes of course

I saw another thread from 2011 about adding apples, but it was an old thread and didn't quite answer my specific question.

I'm not a big pumpkin anything person. But, Melana brewed an extract / partial mash several years back and it was a really good beer. If I remember correctly she used about 5lbs of fresh pumpkin in the boil. I'm pretty sure she took pretty complete notes on that batch. Perhaps she could chime in with a little help.

That would be great. I googled her and pumpkin, but couldn't find a post.

You need to put the pumpkin in the mash. Normally a partial mash. Northern brewery has a free video on how to do it on their website with the pumpkin kit. I am about to bottle my first batch of pumpkin ale tonight! Good luck.

You can toss a can or two into the boil, it's just tough to leave behind the pumpkin in the pot. You may have a very full fermenter and need a blowoff.

I do not recommend adding canned pumpkin into a primary or a secondary. Ive done two pumpkin ales where I added canned pumpkin to the primary and secondary and neither turned out great. One was drinkable but the other was not.

At the very minimum (and Im talking adding pumpkin post mash or boil), I would suggest fresh pumpkin-not canned-cut into pieces and cooked for set period of time to caramelize the sugars.

If you must use canned pumpkin, I have heard of people spreading it on cookie sheets and cooking it for a set amount of time to caramelize the sugars before they add it to primary or secondary.

Personally I think spices work better to achieve that pumpkin taste than pumpkin itself. But that's just personal preference.

You need to put the pumpkin in the mash. Normally a partial mash. Northern brewery has a free video on how to do it on their website with the pumpkin kit. I am about to bottle my first batch of pumpkin ale tonight! Good luck.

I could very well be coming off an as idiot here, but I'm not mashing. I don't think. Right now the kits require me to boil water, steep grains provided in the box, add LME, add hops, cool, transfer, etc.

BrewWNC i prefer spices but I thought the favored was actual pumpkin. When would I add spices? And is it just guess work on how much? I think I've seen people ask about spices so I will be sure to search.

I just brewed the Smashed pumpkin extract kit from NB on 8/24. Basically they call for adding the pumpkin during the steeping grains. On the directions is also recommended adding 3-4 lbs of 6-row at the same time. I did that as well. Smelled good, it's still fermenting right now, and I'll likely leave it for another week or two before I check it.

Your right, your not using a mash. The pumpkin really is optional. My understanding it only gives a slight flavor. Ite mostly color and mouth feel. As far as adding spices add during the boil. Probwlly after you add everything else. I added 1tsp cinnamon 1tsp pumpkin spice at boil then 1/2tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp pumpkin when I bottled it. You can add all of it during the boil if you want to make it easier.

Bottom line its your beer, add as much as you want! Just write it all down so if you dont like it you can adjust next time.

It is personal preference on when to add spices. Most people, from what I have read, add during the boil with some adding after. I added late in the boil.

Same applies to to spices. How much of what spice depends on personal preference but there are some good recipes floating around. Id see what people are using and copy them or create your own based on theirs. I think there is actually a "Pumpkin Pie" spice you can buy at the store that someone suggested on here.

Just remember, it is very, very, very difficult to remove the spice flavor after you add them. So be careful regarding how much you add and of what you add.

Thanks for all of the insight. I searched the forums and read a lot of people's ideas. I ended up using the spice packet provided, which was approximately one TSP of pumpkin spice. To me it smelled just like the pumpkin spice I already had on hand. Based on the limited review of the kit, I added 1/2 TSP of pumpkin spice and 1/8 TSP of cinnamon. I understand cinnamon is overpowering. I added the spice pack at flame out as told but added my "extra" when I added my irish moss and flavor hops 15 minutes before the boil was over. The moss and flavor hops were added as directed.

I tried my cooled and diluted wort. That seemed like a good idea at the time but it wasn't what I expected. I think it's fine, I think I just got some trub in my sip. It's fermenting now and I believe the spices will be okay. Worse comes to worse I can adjust and brew again. :)

I see it's too late now but I just did an extract pumpkin ale that turned out great. I added about 45 oz (one and a half cans) of 100% pure canned pumpkin. My wife suggested adding a stick of cinnamon and some clove as well so I tried it out and it tasted awesome when I tried it before bottling the other day. Good luck!

Well, it's never too late. I can brew another batch. This is a neat experiment and I welcome the outcome actually. Are you using a blow off tube as suggested when adding more volume to the carboy or bucket?

Nope. Wasn't necessary. Not a bad idea, but was not necessary in this case. I always seem to have entry of headroom in my fermenters. I will say though, I lost about a gallon in each bucket (brewed it twice) because of all the junk at the bottom. Couldn't find my strainer anywhere. I think ABV will be on the lower side, like 4%, but it tasted and looked awesome.

In the interest of not starting another thread, I thought I'd just add to this one. Here is a photo of my bucket of pumpkin ale 10 days after brewing. I have not seen any fermentation activity for a good 3 full days. I've kept temperatures around 68º, there were times when they dropped to 62º with the addition of a second jug of ice in the same day. I've now just added 1 gallon jug of frozen water to my "swamp cooler" a day.

In a few days I'll be leaving the tub in a bathroom with the a/c kicked to 76º because I won't be around to put ice in the tub.

With that said, I tried a sample today. I smelled more pumpkin than I think I tasted. I do detect more of a hint of pumpkin and spices towards the end.

The only question I have is since I intend to leave this in the bucket fermenting bucket for another 2 weeks (give or take), can I toss in some more spices just straight into the fermentor or do I run the risk of infection? My other idea was to try brewing pumpkin spice tea using black vanilla tea loose leaf tea, because that's what I have, and adding pumpkin spices to that. Then dumping it into the bucket.

Will that work? Would I have to cool it first? Sanitation is really my concern at this point.

IMG_5242.jpg

Definitely cool it first if you did that. I think for my last pumpkin, a week into fermentation, I added 1 1/2 tsp of pumpkin spice directly into the fermenter and it turned out great.

FWIW, I also used 60 oz of canned pumpkin, used the oven method first, and added it during the boil and got some good mouthfeel and I thought pumpkin flavor from it.

I've seen people make a spice tea and add it to the bottling bucket or keg...depending on how you package your brew if you want that fresh spice flavor in your pumpkin ale. Basically just add whatever spices you want (another 1/2-1tsp of pumpkin spice, cinnamon, etc) to a cup of water, quickly bring it to a simmer to sanitize, then add it to your bucket. I've read people have great success and get that fresh spice taste they were looking for.

Thanks. So cool it before tossing it in the bucket. I can do that. Hoping to get a pretty significant taste from this. :)

Latest posts

Back